Class ring number 29, a big gold from the water and a nice merc along with other silver

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the K to 8 school and did some more swingin. The weather was calling for thunder storms so I decided to detect the front of the building so I could be close to the truck if a storm blew in and it was a good choice.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 123 coins with a face value of $6.07, 2 rings, a war nickel, a game tab, 5 wheaties, toy car parts, a Best Friend charm, a flagpole clip, 2 brass caps, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, brass bits and tabs.

DSCN3482.jpeg

The war nickel was right up against the building. In this ground they come out without a hint of silver showing so I have started checking for the copper color of nickels in the ground awhile. If I don’t see it I rub the edge of the nickel on my pants leg and if I see silver I look for the mint mark above Monticello. That’s how I spotted this one.

DSCN3483.jpeg

The find of the day was the 10k 1966 class ring. Last time I was here I found a Girl Scout ring that I thought at first was a class ring. When I saw this one in the hole I was sure it was a class ring. The stone is chipped and it is the wrong color for the school. The school colors are green and white and the other ring I found from this school had a green stone. I guess the young lady who had this ring preferred blue. The owner of this ring would be 76 now. This is a small community and everyone knows everybody else. The principal says she has all the yearbooks in her office. Once I use the initials and get the name from the yearbook someone will be able to tell me if she is still with us or where I might find relatives if she is not. The last ring I found from this school was in 2002. It was the first one I ever found. It was returned to the son of the original owner. The track down was a bit of an adventure and the story of the ring was very interesting.

DSCN3484.jpeg

The other tiny ring is not really a ring. It looks like the plated ring that went between the top and bottom half of the old fountain pens.

I found this half coin that I thought was a penny. When I cleaned it up a little I could see it was actually a cut dime. Not something you see everyday.

DSCN3487.jpeg

DAY 2
I went back to the K to 8 school to do a little more gridding. I didn’t do as well as last time, but a respectable hunt never the less.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 69 coins with a face value of $4.36, a piece of a toy car, a Mercury dime, a 50 cent euro coin, 4 wheaties, assorted jewelry, an organ reed, an audio adapter, a modern lead bullet, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw, old copper flashing and tabs.

DSCN3488.jpeg

The Mercury dime was a nice surprise. Not many silver coins here, but it sure is nice when they pop up. This necklace looks like it is silver, but there are no makings on any of the clasps or tags so it probably isn’t. Some kid must have carried this around in their pocket for a while for it to be in such a crazy knot.

DSCN3489.jpeg

DSCN3490.jpeg

I have been on a nickel run lately. They seem to be everywhere at this school. First I found 13, last time I was here I found 23 nickels, this time I found 22. It would be nice if they were quarters, but at least they are better than pennies.

DAY 3
It is after Labor Day so the state parks are as open as they ever get. I went to a park north west of my home that requires a letter of permission from the manager to detect. No other restrictions except for the usual state ones that limit where you can hunt in the park so off o went. I usually find a few goodies in this park so I had high hopes.

I spent 6.5 hours swingin the ATPro and covered the swimming area and part of the beach. I found 62 coins with a face value of $5.32, an assortment of jewelry, sinkers, fishing gear and the ever present foil.

DSCN3491.jpeg

Four pieces of jewelry are silver. An earring made in a style that is usually not silver, but it looks good and is marked 925. A split type ring the has a turtle and a ball on it and that has been caught on something and elongated. A tungsten carbide ring, a tiny silver stud earring and and a complete ankle chain that has GRACIE on the paw. The stainless pendant in the shape of a razor blade was an interesting find.

DSCN3492.jpeg

That makes 7 hunts in a row with silver finds. For me that’s a pretty good streak. Maybe I can make it 8 in a row

DAY 4
I went to another state park swimming area and hit all the beach(tiny beach) and all the swimming area I can do. The water in the farthest part of the area is too deep to do without scub gear.

I spent 5 hours and managed to find 25 coins with a face value of $1.68, 2 earrings, 3 rings, 2 little pieces of brass chain, 2 earring backs, a stainless screw on ball end of some jewelry, an ace bandage clip, bits of fishing gear, part of a zipper, 6 selfie stick retainers (or should I call them kiddie telescoping net handle retainers), 36 sinkers, a toy car and a bunch of foil bits.

DSCN3493.jpeg

This swimming area usually produces a piece of good jewelry or 2, but nothing is guaranteed. I did have a little luck. I found a small earring in the shape of an owl that is silver. I also found a real nice 18k ring. It is a very large, size 13, it fits over my wedding band and almost fits on my thumb. It has a nice script inscription that includes a date. It weighs .44 troy ounces or 13.68 grams. The scrap value at the local shop would be $717 if I sold it today. A real nice find. I will check with the park to see if it has been reported lost, if not I hit the jackpot.

DSCN3494.jpeg

DSCN3495.jpeg

My silver streak is up to 8 in a row with gold on 4 out of the eight. Woohoo!

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found coins in 2 different coinstar machines. I also found change in the coin return at the market and coins on the ground as I walked around. Nothing special, but it all adds up.

DSCN3496.jpeg

I also found another little red eft on one of my morning walks.

IMG_9014.jpeg

The goodies keep rolling in and the fun never stops. Just remember there is more trash in the ground than treasure, but if you remove some of the trash, the goodies are easier to spot and you leave the place a lot cleaner. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 20
TNT...you write the best hunt reports I've ever seen, and I honestly look forward to them every week. Thanks for taking the time to write up such detailed reports.
respect-062.gif

DAY 1
I went back to the K to 8 school and did some more swingin. The weather was calling for thunder storms so I decided to detect the front of the building so I could be close to the truck if a storm blew in and it was a good choice.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 123 coins with a face value of $6.07, 2 rings, a war nickel, a game tab, 5 wheaties, toy car parts, a Best Friend charm, a flagpole clip, 2 brass caps, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, brass bits and tabs.

View attachment 2167412

The war nickel was right up against the building. In this ground they come out without a hint of silver showing so I have started checking for the copper color of nickels in the ground awhile. If I don’t see it I rub the edge of the nickel on my pants leg and if I see silver I look for the mint mark above Monticello. That’s how I spotted this one.

View attachment 2167413

The find of the day was the 10k 1966 class ring. Last time I was here I found a Girl Scout ring that I thought at first was a class ring. When I saw this one in the hole I was sure it was a class ring. The stone is chipped and it is the wrong color for the school. The school colors are green and white and the other ring I found from this school had a green stone. I guess the young lady who had this ring preferred blue. The owner of this ring would be 76 now. This is a small community and everyone knows everybody else. The principal says she has all the yearbooks in her office. Once I use the initials and get the name from the yearbook someone will be able to tell me if she is still with us or where I might find relatives if she is not. The last ring I found from this school was in 2002. It was the first one I ever found. It was returned to the son of the original owner. The track down was a bit of an adventure and the story of the ring was very interesting.

View attachment 2167414

The other tiny ring is not really a ring. It looks like the plated ring that went between the top and bottom half of the old fountain pens.

I found this half coin that I thought was a penny. When I cleaned it up a little I could see it was actually a cut dime. Not something you see everyday.

View attachment 2167415

DAY 2
I went back to the K to 8 school to do a little more gridding. I didn’t do as well as last time, but a respectable hunt never the less.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 69 coins with a face value of $4.36, a piece of a toy car, a Mercury dime, a 50 cent euro coin, 4 wheaties, assorted jewelry, an organ reed, an audio adapter, a modern lead bullet, can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw, old copper flashing and tabs.

View attachment 2167416

The Mercury dime was a nice surprise. Not many silver coins here, but it sure is nice when they pop up. This necklace looks like it is silver, but there are no makings on any of the clasps or tags so it probably isn’t. Some kid must have carried this around in their pocket for a while for it to be in such a crazy knot.

View attachment 2167417

View attachment 2167418

I have been on a nickel run lately. They seem to be everywhere at this school. First I found 13, last time I was here I found 23 nickels, this time I found 22. It would be nice if they were quarters, but at least they are better than pennies.

DAY 3
It is after Labor Day so the state parks are as open as they ever get. I went to a park north west of my home that requires a letter of permission from the manager to detect. No other restrictions except for the usual state ones that limit where you can hunt in the park so off o went. I usually find a few goodies in this park so I had high hopes.

I spent 6.5 hours swingin the ATPro and covered the swimming area and part of the beach. I found 62 coins with a face value of $5.32, an assortment of jewelry, sinkers, fishing gear and the ever present foil.

View attachment 2167419

Four pieces of jewelry are silver. An earring made in a style that is usually not silver, but it looks good and is marked 925. A split type ring the has a turtle and a ball on it and that has been caught on something and elongated. A tungsten carbide ring, a tiny silver stud earring and and a complete ankle chain that has GRACIE on the paw. The stainless pendant in the shape of a razor blade was an interesting find.

View attachment 2167420

That makes 7 hunts in a row with silver finds. For me that’s a pretty good streak. Maybe I can make it 8 in a row

DAY 4
I went to another state park swimming area and hit all the beach(tiny beach) and all the swimming area I can do. The water in the farthest part of the area is too deep to do without scub gear.

I spent 5 hours and managed to find 25 coins with a face value of $1.68, 2 earrings, 3 rings, 2 little pieces of brass chain, 2 earring backs, a stainless screw on ball end of some jewelry, an ace bandage clip, bits of fishing gear, part of a zipper, 6 selfie stick retainers (or should I call them kiddie telescoping net handle retainers), 36 sinkers, a toy car and a bunch of foil bits.

View attachment 2167421

This swimming area usually produces a piece of good jewelry or 2, but nothing is guaranteed. I did have a little luck. I found a small earring in the shape of an owl that is silver. I also found a real nice 18k ring. It is a very large, size 13, it fits over my wedding band and almost fits on my thumb. It has a nice script inscription that includes a date. It weighs .44 troy ounces or 13.68 grams. The scrap value at the local shop would be $717 if I sold it today. A real nice find. I will check with the park to see if it has been reported lost, if not I hit the jackpot.

View attachment 2167422

View attachment 2167410

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found coins in 2 different coinstar machines. I also found change in the coin return at the market and coins on the ground as I walked around. Nothing special, but it all adds up.

View attachment 2167424

View attachment 2167411

The goodies keep rolling in and the fun never stops. Just remember there is more trash in the ground than treasure, but if you remove some of the trash, the goodies are easier to spot and you leave the place a lot cleaner. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
You consistently have excellent, detailed posts. Some beauties in gold and silver on this one, wtg and thanks for posting.

DAY 1

View attachment 2167412

View attachment 2167413

View attachment 2167414

View attachment 2167415

DAY 2

View attachment 2167416

View attachment 2167417

View attachment 2167418

DAY 3

View attachment 2167419

View attachment 2167420

DAY 4

View attachment 2167421

View attachment 2167422

View attachment 2167410

NON DETECTOR FINDS

View attachment 2167424

View attachment 2167411

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back