✅ SOLVED Civilian or error make military button

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I found this button on a piece of property that is maybe 1/2 acre. My brother and I found 24 Civil War threeringers. He found a Model 1839 Box Plate a Infantry cuff and A general service Coat Button with the exact back mark as the button in this post. My guess is that this button is Civilian. I couldn't find any reference to this button on the net either civilian or military. Could this button be a Military button that somehow was made in Error and nothing was stamped on the face before it was put together? All suggestions are welcome and thank you for you knowledge. Civilian Scovill Back.jpgCivilian Scovill Front.jpg

My feeling is this is a civilian coat button Alan, likely dating from the mid-1800s. :thumbsup:
Here's a bit of information about dating Scovill-made buttons.

Scovill Buttons

Prior to and during the Civil War, Scovill was the most prolific button manufacturers. The Scovill name is common on buttons from the 1830 to the 1970s. The original Scovill partnerships and companies were located in Waterbury, CT, so often the name Waterbury also appears on Scovill buttons. The brothers J. M. Lamson Scovill and William Henry Scovill operated the business from 1827 to 1840. These buttons are generally marked "JML Scovill..." or "Scovills". The Scovills & Co backmark is found from around 1840 to 1850. Marks with variations of Scovill Manufacturing begin about 1850 (Scovill MG.- early 1850s, Scovill MF'G - mid 1850s). Below are some of the many Scovill backmark variations.

LEVENWORTH, HAYDEN & SCOVILL (also as LH&S) 1811-1827
J.M.L. & W.H. SCOVILL 1827-1840
J. M. L. & W. H. SCOVILL / [dot] WATERBURY [dot] / EXTRA SUPERFINE [dot] [star] [dot] [star] [dot] [star] [dot] 1830s. Example: Republic of Texas infantry
J M L & W H SCOVILL / [star] EXTRA RICH [star] 1830s. Example: South Carolina militia
SCOVILLS : 1827-1840
SCOVILLS [dot] Waterbury [dot] [two inner rings of dots] 1830s US Dragoons [Eagle with D]
SCOVILLS / [dot] WATERBURY [dot] [RMDC between solid rings, outer ring of short rays, flat back] 1830s Example: US Artillery [Eagle with D]
SCOVILLS [star] Waterbury [star] [two inner rings, one piece] 1830s Example: US Topographical Engineers
SCOVILLS & CO / [dot] WATERBURY [dot]" [stippled background] 1840s and 1850s
SCOVILL MG. CO. [dot] 1850s. Example US Navy
SCOVILLS & CO. : 1840-1850
SCOVILL MANUFACTURING CO. : 1850-1960
SCOVILL Mg. Co.: 1850-1865
SCOVILL Mg. Co. / WATERBURY CT. 1850-1865
SCOVILL Mf'g Co. : WATERBURY CT. 1850-1865
SCOVILL Mf'g Co. WATERBURY : 1850-1865
SCOVILL Mfg Co. WATERBURY CT. : 1850-1865
SCOVILLS [dot] Waterbury [dot] Typically Civil War or earlier, especially RMDC types. Example: So. Carolina militia button
SCOVILLS [star] WATERBURY [star]: pre-Civil War (typically RMDC backmark), and Civil War and post Civil War (typically DM backmark)

Upvote 0
Although Antiquarian's posted info on Scovill button backmarks is helpful, your blank-front button's backmark is shown as being from 1880 to 1920 in the Scovill backmark photos in the book "American Military Button makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by McGuinn & Bazelon).

Upvote 0
Thank you guys for replying to my post. I was pretty sure it was civilian, but wanted to ask people who are more knowledgeable than I. Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back