Civilian button help.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Seems like a typical button, but the shaft is not so typical. I have seen this style shaft before. Was it an improved design that helped strengthen the loop, so it would not break off. Typically the loop is attached without the thick reinforcement. Although this button looks over 100 years old, structurally its in great condition. Any ideas on date and is it in fact a civilian button? :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 175
It looks to be a "drilled eye" button. The drilled, peg-shaped shank is usually cast with the rest of the button, although yours looks unusual and most are flat, one piece. These types of buttons are 18th to mid-19th century and are made of many materials including Pewter, Copper Alloy, or Tombac.

Now that I look closer yours seems to be a spun back with a drilled eye...It makes me wonder if it was a repair job on a tombac using a shank from a drilled eye button.

Upvote 0
Neil in West Jersey said:
It looks to be a "drilled eye" button. The drilled, peg-shaped shank is usually cast with the rest of the button, although yours looks unusual and most are flat, one piece. These types of buttons are 18th to mid-19th century and are made of many materials including Pewter, Copper Alloy, or Tombac.

Now that I look closer yours seems to be a spun back with a drilled eye...It makes me wonder if it was a repair job on a tombac using a shank from a drilled eye button.
Although this button has the tombac shape it is not tombac material. :-\

Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:

That was actually a typo...but it is an odd one. I wonder if someone would have repaired it using a shank from another.

Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:

That was actually a typo...but it is an odd one. I wonder if someone would have repaired it using a shank from another.
Hmmm. I wonder. My gut says it is not a repair, but just a guess. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back