? Civil War ?

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone got any ideas on the large brass piece?

image-1083504250.jpg

Last edited:
Not even a guess so far. That's not good...

Upvote 0
Kinda looks like a trigger guard to an old rifle. But it's probably decretive

Upvote 0
Looks to be the lever off of an old rolling block rifle during the civil war. They were 50 cal, but had the dubious flaw of requiring the shooter to manually extract the cartrige after firing the round. Not very feasable under battle conditions. Fortunately the Henry 44 repeating rifle came out shortly after, putting an end to the rolling block weapon.

Upvote 0
It resembles part of a Jaeger Rifle type trigger guard. If it is or not I really can't say from the photo. Do the ends look broken? Also a measurement would help a bit.

guard.jpg

Upvote 0
It resembles part of a Jaeger Rifle type trigger guard. If it is or not I really can't say from the photo. Do the ends look broken? Also a measurement would help a bit.

View attachment 825186
Yes both ends are broke. I'll get at better pic.

Upvote 0
image-4178399444.jpg

image-973202656.jpg

image-3249669687.jpg

image-2968209321.jpg

Upvote 0
I'd say there's a decent chance it's a broken trigger guard, but it could be something completely different, like part of an ornate lamp or something. Hard to say for certain.

Upvote 0
Jdug..
Rule out a trigger guard. It's def not one. To thick. To crude IMO
I have no idea as too what it could be..

Upvote 0
Jpro said:
Jdug..
Rule out a trigger guard. It's def not one. To thick. To crude IMO
I have no idea as too what it could be..

This is the closet I've found, but you're right my piece is too bulky to be a trigger guard.

image-123066786.jpg

Upvote 0
twoauers said:
Try the Tennessee Metal Detector Club Web site. They have a few folks that have a lot of Civil War experience and may know. Middle Tennessee Metal Detector Club on the net; Link; Middle Tennessee Metal Detecting Club. Hope this may help. Reguards Twoauers.

Thanks, I probably won't bother them though and just keep digging more relics.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back