image-3866394566.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 130
  • image-2830412907.jpg
    image-2830412907.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3105409982.jpg
    image-3105409982.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 136
cant tell ya anything other than I LIKE IT!!!One of my very first finds was a sword scabbard

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
there were thousands of people trekked across the US to Calif in 1849-,and there was all kinds of Military (Dragoons)all over Mis.

Upvote 0
Good ID Charlie! That sure does look like it! I know collectors who spend more amount of money on a dug artifacts like swords and buttons than a non dug artifacts! This one is in great condition! good luck with it.

Upvote 0
Oh and good job on getting it out of the ground in one piece. Lot of MDers dig a sword break them with their shovels because there not expecting a sword too pop up!

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any idea what it could be worth

No clue on value right now, I think it still 100% needs to be IDed either as the 1796 or the 1848 Hungarian sword or maybe even another one? There is def. value here though it is in great condition for being dug.

I.e. a Non dug CS Staff officers sword (Boyle and Gamble-Richmond,Va) sells for $1,200-$2,500. A dug one would go for $400-$800. However that is Civil War prices. I would have to do more research too find out exact value of yours but need to find out 100% what year and brand you have. Good luck with it!

Upvote 0
I'm probably wrong and I lost my sword book, but I have one with that handle on it and it was identified as being from an unknown military school and dated to the mid 1850s.

Upvote 0
I really don't think it Hungarian the finger guard in not quite the same it's alot closer to the 1796 model in my opinion I really need an expert mabie CBG will come along with some input

Upvote 0
I don't live back there and have never seen or been near a tornado, so this is an honest question. When a house is demolished like the ones that just happened in Oklahoma, how far does the jewelry box on the dresser, or the sword on the wall go? A long ways, or does everything stay local? That said, it's hard to say why a sword turned up someplace unexpected. In Oregon history there were several men sent to Port Orford, in very early Oregon, to establish a town. They were recruited by the developer, and armed themselves with what they could afford. A couple of them had only pistols, a few rifles and one was armed only with a sword, and they had a small ships cannon. The Indians didn't like them there, so they fortified themselves on battle rock, repelled the attack with the cannon, the Indians retreated and the settlers beat feat out of there, barely escaping with their lives. I'm telling this to show that a sword can show up way out in the pucker brush and leave a person scratching their head forever.
battle rock1a.jpg battle rock1b.jpg

Upvote 0
Swords and sabers have often been one of the most often saved and collected mementos from earlier times, and accounts in a way for the large number surviving to this day. The particulars for how and why any object may have come to be lost or discarded at a certain point, is highly theoretical and subjective, and without details or context of other finds, a wild guessing game at best.

Over the years, swords and sabers have been pulled from attics and barns, only to be used as field knives to cut corn or cane, slice watermelons at picnics, be used by errant children playing in the forest, chopping and beating away at everything in sight, as well as a vast number of other uses. The "battle damage" can in fact be from any number of circumstances, and actually be the result of something far in time and distance from any notable military battle.

The degree of curvature on this particular blade, would I believe, designate this a saber, and therefore likely a cavalry or mounted troops weapon.

The style exhibited in the excavated example recovered near Kansas City shows a similarity to the British Pattern 1796 example posted by Charlie P. (NY). There are also many other European examples spanning nearly a century that display similar features of a single all steel hand guard, pinned tab extending onto the face of the grip, and sheath shield over the blade below the finger guard.

Napoleonic Swords and Sabers Collection: English Light Cavalry Sabre 1796 Pattern

German Cavalry Saber, - Cowan's Auctions

GERMAN CAVALRY SWORD BAKELITE GRIP SOLINGEN : Lot 31025

http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=99225

This particular excavated example shows a unique shape in the steel tab on grip, in the fact that there is a notch-like shape, where this portion is not completely semi-circular as we may note in other examples. Each distinctive feature is a valid clue in determining proper identification.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• Sword Image.jpg
    Sword Image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks to the AT pro and it's awesome pinpointing ability I was also able to excavate an in tact iron wagon wheel 2ft deep sometimes slowing down while digging pays off took a little over an hour to remove this sword from the earth I still think the closest example is the 1796 English model. I just wish this weapon could talk

Upvote 0
I was looking for a bloody bill Anderson skirmish site 60 miles east of KC Mo. Unfortunately it's the only military relic I have found in the area I have wondered if it belonged to a partisan ranger

Upvote 0
I'm curious about the shape of the tab that CC Hunter pointed out, does it look to have been made that way? Or could that shape have been caused by damage and/or rust? When I look at it I see a Prussian Model of 1811 Heavy Saber, the shape of the grip, and the curve of the blade seem right on for it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back