SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A person I follow on instagram has also found one of these at a CW site. Mine is the bottom picture. His is at the top of his display.

image-2086650565.jpg

image-2204582054.jpg

For lack of a better term, I would call that a snap. The end goes thru the middle and is twisted to the indents on the sides. Fairly modern.

Upvote 0
For lack of a better term, I would call that a snap. The end goes thru the middle and is twisted to the indents on the sides. Fairly modern.

I used to call it a snap. Dang I know a couple of other guys who have found these at CW sites.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
SCDigginWithAK wrote:
> What were they used for?

As Creskol said, the SPECIFIC form of "twist-catch" you found the bottom piece of was and still is used on all sorts of things. Four examples that I've personally seen:
1- A Volkswagen pickup truck bed-cover tarp, which I owned.
2- My high-school backpack had a twist-catch for keeping the main cover-flap at its top closed.
3- My wife's purse has one for keeping its main flap closed.
4- Some 20th-Century US Army packs and belt-pouches have the form of twist-catch you found.

I should mention, for any diggers here who don't already know:
That specific form of twist-catch (the turning part fits through a flat metal oval or ring which is attached to cloth or leather) seems to date as far back as the latter-1800s, but not to the civil war.

However, there is a different version of twist-catch (or "turn-catch") which does date back to the civil war. It is found on at least one type of epaulette (shoulder-scales). The turning part fits through a slot in the epaulette's body. See photos below.

Attachments

• epaulette_US_Enlisted-men_nondug_topview-closeup1_Ebay1.jpg
    epaulette_US_Enlisted-men_nondug_topview-closeup1_Ebay1.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 97
  • epaulette_with-turncatch_topview_photobyPlezPC4767-2.jpg
    epaulette_with-turncatch_topview_photobyPlezPC4767-2.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 94
  • epaulette_with-turncatch_sideview_photobyPlez_PC4767-7.jpg
    epaulette_with-turncatch_sideview_photobyPlez_PC4767-7.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 91
  • epaulette_with-turncatch_bottomview_photobyPlez_PC4767-6.jpg
    epaulette_with-turncatch_bottomview_photobyPlez_PC4767-6.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
Thanks cbg. Would you mind checking out my last thread? Somebody said you could help. It's about dating an eagle button

Upvote 0
Here is a photo that may apply:

Attachments

• fasten.jpg
    fasten.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back