Civil war relics I dug on 12-17 & 18

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Civil war relics I dug on 12-17 & 18

I got out for about 3 hours on the 17th and dug 5 sharps, a percussion cap, a brass rivet, an iron canister ball and part of a pocket knife. As I was leaving I got a faint signal and about 18 inches down got a few nails and saw ashes and bones. I knew I had a pit but didn't have time to dig it so closed it up. I went back the next day. The pit was about 3 feet deep and about 4 feet square all I got out of it was nails and cow bones. After I covered the pit I hunted for about 2 hours and got 2 sharps, a rough eagle button, and a decent eagle A button. As a bonus I got a piece of clay pipe stem and an arrowhead out of holes I dug metal from. I can't make out the backmark on the A button but by the type of eagle it was probably made by D. Evans

Attachments

• 121718.jpg
    121718.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,201
  • a cuff.jpg
    a cuff.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,155
  • 121718.jpg
    121718.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • a cuff.jpg
    a cuff.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,141
Upvote 0
Re: Civil war relics I dug on 12-17 & 18

Sweet A cuff you have there sir :icon_thumright: It looks awful shiny to me :hello2: ... Now head back out there tomorrow on your snowmobile :laughing9:

umrgolf2000 said:
Sweet A cuff you have there sir :icon_thumright: It looks awful shiny to me :hello2: ... Now head back out there tomorrow on your snowmobile :laughing9:
That's one thing about the Robinsons and Evans buttons. ( Evans took over Robinsons in 1847.) They are usually well made and usually have a good bit of gilt left on them. We only got about 2 feet of snow so we can go. Come on up and I'll take ya. :laughing7:

vayank54 said:
umrgolf2000 said:
That's one thing about the Robinsons and Evans buttons. ( Evans took over Robinsons in 1847.) They are usually well made and usually have a good bit of gilt left on them. We only got about 2 feet of snow so we can go. Come on up and I'll take ya. :laughing7:

Only 2 feet of snow? Good thing I have an F75 :thumbsup:

Congrats on the CW relics Vayank54. :icon_thumleft:
Great job on that A button.
-MM-

Nice relics, congrats! :thumbsup:

Very nice indeed! That's one of the nicer Eagle A's that I have seen come up out of the ground. Were you digging in that hot red soil or was it in a patch of good ground? Either way nice little hunt and I like those Sharps too :wink:

Some very nice saves and super "A" button. I like those Sharp's bullets-they read so good. WTG and stay warm!!!

Way to go VaYank . . .I had to put on my sunglasses to view that shiny A-cuff button. :headbang: Breezie

Very nice Artillery button.

Nova Treasure

Breezie said:
Way to go VaYank . . .I had to put on my sunglasses to view that shiny A-cuff button. :headbang: Breezie

were they polarized? 8) :dontknow:

umrgolf2000 were they polarized? 8) :dontknow: [/quote said:
They HAD to be with all that gilt! :icon_sunny: Breezie

Breezie said:
umrgolf2000 were they polarized? 8) :dontknow: [/quote said:
They HAD to be with all that gilt! :icon_sunny: Breezie

No kidding! Geez yank, tryin to give us all a winter sunburn or what? ::)

Thanks guys. I was surprised the A came out that nice myself. Most of the buttons that I've dug there have been green and eaten up. I did dig a decent eagle R cuff there earlier this year before I got on Tnet. I've included a pic of that in case you all would like to see it. That place has been good to me and if you all want I will give you a short history and description of it.

Sentinel, The ground is red and bad but not quite as bad as that red dirt in Brandy Station ( where some of the DIV's have been held) or Orange co.

umrgolf2000, bring on that F75 ha ha

Attachments

• Mag Eagle R.jpg
    Mag Eagle R.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 706
  • Mag Eagle R.jpg
    Mag Eagle R.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 698

Man-o-man, now that is impressive! Two thumbs up! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Uve awakened a sleeping detector :o

vayank54 said:
Thanks guys. I was surprised the A came out that nice myself. Most of the buttons that I've dug there have been green and eaten up. I did dig a decent eagle R cuff there earlier this year before I got on Tnet. I've included a pic of that in case you all would like to see it. That place has been good to me and if you all want I will give you a short history and description of it.

Sentinel, The ground is red and bad but not quite as bad as that red dirt in Brandy Station ( where some of the DIV's have been held) or Orange co.

umrgolf2000, bring on that F75 ha ha

Yes, she is a beauty. My buddy dug a nice Georgia State Seal at DIV 9 on the Brandy Rock farm and it came out with most of the gilt on it as well just like yours! But as you said, lots of times the buttons come out all eaten up in that red soil but not always...case in point: I dug a really nice General Service Eagle at this past DIV and it came out of the ground without any corrosion. Nice find bud :wink:

P.S. I bet you were a happy relic hunter when that Eagle "R" popped out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back