***Civil War Mystery Items***

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SOLVED ***Civil War Mystery Items***

UPDATE: These are spoke rivets for a wagon rim. Solved by Frontier West. wagon wheel rivet.JPG

I found these items at a Just Go Detecting Hunt near Culpeper last year. Some misc. items that are easy to ID. However, the 3 items on the right that resemble "miniature axles" have me stumped. This was a camp where lots of farrier related items were recovered. Any ideas fellas? Thanks!

jgd 11-14.jpg

Attachments

• jgd 11-14(2).jpg
    jgd 11-14(2).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Of the two nails the left hand one is probably a horseshoe nail. At least in the view in the picture that's what it looks like to me, however there is nothing for me to judge the size of the nail, so I can't be sure, but it looks like one and I've used many pounds of horse shooe nails over the years. The other items above the nails look like really long rivets, but I have no idea what they would have held together. Getting back to the nails, after a second look, if the tool on the left is normal size, then the nail is probably too large for a horse shoe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of the two nails the left hand one is probably a horseshoe nail. At least in the view in the picture that's what it looks like to me, however there is nothing for me to judge the size of the nail, so I can't be sure, but it looks like one and I've used many pounds of horse shooe nails over the years. The other items above the nails look like really long rivets, but I have no idea what they would have held together. Getting back to the nails, after a second look, if the tool on the left is normal size, then the nail is probably too large for a horse shoe.

Thanks. Yes the smaller nail is a horseshoe nail. My son's a farrier. But I was wondering about the 3 pieces above the nails. ???

Upvote 0
Yes, they do look similar, but they're not wide enough for a horse's mouth.

Upvote 0
NEET PINCHERS YOU HAVE THE FOR HORSE SHOES AND COMPASS DIVIDER BASE.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back