Civil War Minnie in wood?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only dug 2 of these 1 15 years ago & 1 yesterday.

Is there a way to tell if the Tree was alive when the bullet entered it?

Also what's the best way to keep the Wood from Rotting away?

I think on my first one ; I soaked it with EV Olive Oil several times , I can not recall if I put a final Poly, Wax, etc., coat on it ; I have not Seen it in 10 years, hope it's still together.

Thanks in advance for any Help.
Davers:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
That's very cool Davers, I'd love to find one. I'd treat it with toung oil or some type of wood sealer. " How about a picture"!

HH RN

Thanks Relic Nut.
I happen to have some Toung oil , here at home, use it for sealing Some of my cooked Iron Relics.
Thanks Man hope to post a picture soon.

I have 2. One is barely still in the wood, but it is very fragile the wood so it stays in the display case with no touching. The other is buried fairly deep and probably would benefit from some conservation/preservation methods. I'm eager to learn of what others will recommend.

Do you guys know any wood turners or bowl makers? i sale wood blanks and burls to woodworkers and they speak of stabilizers they use for burls that have decaying wood . im just guessing they might be able to help you out in this procedure, if you know any.

I would like to know also, mine has been like this since 1983. The bullet is in a section of pine. The battle was March 16, 1865 Averasboro ,NC Tree died but was preserve in hard pine in the ground. Had to be carved out to know what was inside of the pine. It is 3 ring 58 cal.

I would think the tree was alive. You are from GA, I bet your wood is Pine too. You have natural turpentine to preserve it.:thumbsup: Georgia Pine is some of the best wood there is. It is better pine than our Eastern North Carolina pine

IMG_1307.JPG

Last edited:
I have 2. One is barely still in the wood, but it is very fragile the wood so it stays in the display case with no touching. The other is buried fairly deep and probably would benefit from some conservation/preservation methods. I'm eager to learn of what others will recommend.

I know what you mean , i recall my first one getting kind "rattly" in it's enclosure, after a year or so.
Also my Club gave 2 or 3 away at our last hunt that were so bad that if u were to drop them from 2 inches the minnie would have likely come out. Was 'kinda ' hoping I would win one to experiment on a way to preserve it.

"Worry" about the Wood on my old Pocket Knife Digs as well.

Good Luck preserving Yours.
Davers

I would like to know also, mine has been like this since 1983. The bullet is in a section of pine. The battle was March 16, 1865 Averasboro ,NC Tree died but was preserve in hard pine in the ground. Had to be carved out to know what was inside of the pine. It is 3 ring 58 cal.

I would think the tree was alive. You are from GA, I bet your wood is Pine too. You have natural turpentine to preserve it.:thumbsup: Georgia Pine is some of the best wood there is. It is better pine than our Eastern North Carolina pine

View attachment 1345421

That's a Nice piece you got there..
True about the pines Mostly 'long leave ' types of Loblolly (I think that's what people call them.).

Mine are in Knots where I suppose the tree was Alive when shot & like the human body, the tree did not want a foreign object inside it =There for the Tree encapsulated the bullet in the hard Knot. & that's all that is left as the tree rotted away.

I wonder how a CW Ball / minnie would look in a preserved (freshly Cut piece of wood) used for Fortification's & such.

It's Neat how the Wood filled the cavity of the 3 ringers. 'hence the tree was alive when shot'.???

I know TN-Member Parsonwalker for a few minnies in wood a while back , I may PM him to ask how his are doing, tho I likely asked at the time he dug them , what he was gonna do.

Again Very nice relic .
Thx
Davers

Do you guys know any wood turners or bowl makers? i sale wood blanks and burls to woodworkers and they speak of stabilizers they use for burls that have decaying wood . im just guessing they might be able to help you out in this procedure, if you know any.

Great Idea , I need to look into that.
Thanks
Davers

I really want one of these!. Maybe someday (fingers crossed). Not sure about anyone else but I find the fired bullets so much more interesting than the dropped. Much more story in the fired ones.

JimK

I really want one of these!. Maybe someday (fingers crossed). Not sure about anyone else but I find the fired bullets so much more interesting than the dropped. Much more story in the fired ones.

JimK

JimK

IMO You are in the Minority in the liking of Fired CW Bullets.

I love them also. Just came off our NGRHA Relic Show & seeing Drops Get Higher $ & the fired ones Relegated to Coffee Cans & Most had no idea where they came from . VA Maybe ???

Minnies /Balls intomed in Wood are Much rarer to dig these days , talked to a old School Local/(mostly) hunter & he stated up to about 15 -20 years ago , They would find 1 or 2 a year but it had been 10 or so years since he dug one.

Keep hunting & you may get one or more especially in Wetter Areas.
Davers

That's a mighty fine (High Base) type 3 ringer you got there. If it was from the Charleston Arsenal that would be even cooler. If not the (Charleston Type) High base Gives it more Character .

Have you treated the Pieces in any way?

There are lot's of methods to do it , I just need to choose one 'Soon', As the wood has expanded away from the side of the bullet since I dug it 9 Days ago.

Thanks for posting.
Davers

JimK

IMO You are in the Minority in the liking of Fired CW Bullets.

I love them also. Just came off our NGRHA Relic Show & seeing Drops Get Higher $ & the fired ones Relegated to Coffee Cans & Most had no idea where they came from . VA Maybe ???

Minnies /Balls intomed in Wood are Much rarer to dig these days , talked to a old School Local/(mostly) hunter & he stated up to about 15 -20 years ago , They would find 1 or 2 a year but it had been 10 or so years since he dug one.

Keep hunting & you may get one or more especially in Wetter Areas.
Davers

Thanks Davers. I hope to find one some day, But I have made a lot of good finds so I really can't complain even if I never find another. I still have plenty on my bucket list for sure.
I guess I am in the minority because the interest for me is held by the story and history, not the value. I have no interest what any of my finds are worth.

JimK

Here are the pictures of the bullet that I found. Thanks Davers20160816_161614.jpg20160816_161614.jpg20160816_161724.jpg20160816_161758.jpg

I haven't treated any of the pieces, but I need to do so especially for the first one. The wood is dried around the lead and there is a slight wiggle. I'm afraid the wood that wraps the side will splinter off. I don't know what to treat it with.

water would expand the wood fibers, but evaporate quickly
As a furniture maker I would recommend oil, however I am only guessing

I was thinking lint seed oil, but I don't want to alter the patina of the lead. Also, the wood is so dry that I suppose it will suck up the oil in which case I'll have to "paint" the oil on in multiple treatments. Lastly, I curious what to seal it with? Would a paraffin wax be alright? I don't want something so heavy that it alters the piece. I don't want a thick coat of varnish that would look unsightly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back