Civil war locket???

VAdigger1988

Jan 12, 2016
VA
Detector(s) used
Garret at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this is a civil war locket dug in central VA I've dug tons and tons of specific civil war relics at same location us buckle confederate spurs shoe box full of dropped and fired bullets knapsack hooks fuses can anyone tell me more about the locket? it doesn't have a picture in it... Unfortunately...it has original glass and cloth...it does have unique jewels or gems can anyone ID or help tell me potential value on something like this? Not that I will depart from it just want to know info. 20160410_160436.jpg 20160410_160522.jpg 20160410_160458.jpg

Sweet little locket.
It would help to know color of stones, and a magnified shot of the engraved sides of the metal.

Upvote 0
If the stones are genuine they look like ruby, sapphire and diamond. Maybe opal or pearl on the little white stone, to hard to tell from photo. That is sure an awesome find and appears very old.

Upvote 0
Sweet little locket.
It would help to know color of stones, and a magnified shot of the engraved sides of the metal.

Pearl,
First let me welcome you to the forums. If you click on the picture it will open in a new window. Click on it again and it will enlarge. Hope this helps with an ID.

Upvote 0
To me it looks later then CW era and more towards later 1870s - 1890s Victorian in age, but I may be off on that? Nice find.

Upvote 0
Color of stones are red white and blue

Upvote 0
Congratz! That is one cool locket!

Upvote 0
Not Civil War. Late 19th C as stated above. Watch fob locket. It was a very nice piece when new. Still pretty nice...

But possibly lost by a veteran returning to the battlefield. The was a huge nostalgia for the "War of the Rebellion" starting in the late 1880's up until probably 1900. Lots of fraternal organizations and meetings and reunions and encampments... Often they returned to the places where they fought and took family members. That is my theory on why we find late Victorian items mixed with CW relics when there is little or no modern trash at a site.

99BAC24.jpg

Upvote 0
I've recently taking it to a highly reputable civil war relic and civil war memorabilia and it was I'D as a civil war era peice

Upvote 0
I've recently taking it to a highly reputable civil war relic and civil war memorabilia and it was I'D as a civil war era peice

Well, if he says so and you want to believe that, it is your prerogative.

Does he have any provenance? To my eye that piece screams late Victorian opulence.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
It's sgnt Riker in Hanover va the one that makes all Riker cases and huge historian collector

Upvote 0
I have met the man and been in his shop on several occasions. He CERTAINLY knows his relics. I will defer to his identification and consider myself SCHOOLED!

Nice find.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Cool find. My thoughts is your item more resembles a vinaigrette box, no problem with your date period. Great find.:thumbsup:

SS

Attachments

• vinaigrette-boxes-gilai-collectible.jpg
    vinaigrette-boxes-gilai-collectible.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
Thanks. Yalls input and knowledge is always great to have it was just told to take to an expert and I figured he was one of the best in my location

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back