Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I don't think the dragon was around during the Civil War. Went to two sites yesterday and today. Thought today was going to be a washout, but it turned out ok. Got a King George II copper, toasted and this ring from one site. View attachment IMG_0474.jpg Forgot to take a pic of the copper, but it's toast. Didn't get much else there. The ring is costume jewelry, but kind of nice. Lots of rings this year.

Today I got me a dragon! Or a decked out dinosaur! IMG_0475.jpg I decided FINALLY to check out a semi local park, which does allow detecting and this little guy was lying in the dirt. He probably misses his owner. This is a toy periscope. And yes I tried it out and it works.

Got a decent signal, and just under/at the grass line is this nice but junk bracelet. That's 3 bracelets this year. IMG_0472.jpg I also got some foil and bottlecaps and some iron, no pics however. Found a Zincoln and a brand new quarter in a just cut area.

Moved through the area a little farther and almost missed a signal, a turned green tombac button which has seen its better days. Was at the very edge of the swing, and I decided to go back and take another swing. It was not deep, but was standing straight on edge. Glad I did. I don't dig a lot of tombacs. Have more brass buttons and pewter this year than tombacs. View attachment IMG_0469.jpg

Moved a little farther on and got a screaming signal. I thought another quarter, but no, dug my second Confederate Infantry button of the year! One of the solid cast "I" s. Not a HUGE surprise, but I almost threw up with excitement! No, not huge! In pretty good condition too. I have another one almost identical to it from earlier this year. Maybe even the same mold, but I have to dig the other one out and take a look to see and compare it. IMG_0470.jpg A Little farther away, I got a deep, faint signal, and came up with the CW period or therebouts brass thimble. Note the cute star on the top of it! I haven't dug many thimbles ever, so this was very nice. View attachment IMG_0471.jpg

It was getting a little late, cat needed its nap, so on the way out dug some more junk, good thing we have junk, and a tiny copper (?) whatzit. I didn't even know it was a whatzit until about half an hour ago when I opened up the pouch to get rid of the junque.

That's "junk" spelled funny. Is this a coin? I don't see a shank. Looks like copper. It's TINY. I think I see a flower or something on it but have never seen or had a coin like this small before. Was almost on top of the ground, MAYBE an inch deep, but gave a fairly decent signal. The area started to get settled in the 17th century, and by 1750 was a booming place. Still is. Imput appreciated, especially on the little tiny "thing". IMG_0473.jpg The cat is having a good year.

Last edited:
Upvote 20
Thanks. Would like some help on the last item. Don't know what it is. Looks like two little crowns with bases together, or something geometric or maybe circles.

Thanks. Would like some help on the last item. Don't know what it is. Looks like two little crowns with bases together, or something geometric or maybe circles.

That's very interesting, I'm not quite sure what that is.

I'll try to get a better look at the other side.

Here's a pic of the front and back. About the size of a 3 cent US silver, but definitely copper. Is this coin that badly damaged, or did I dig a hammered coin?IMG_0476.JPGIMG_0477.JPG

Love that Infantry button! The small coin looking piece almost looks like a Charles I, 1634 Rose Farthing? (....but probably not!) They are hammered.

Iowa Dale

Last edited:
Charles who? I'll look it up on the net. We get the KG I, II and III coppers here and I have a William and Mary. I assume English? We do get early Spanish coins here and on great occasion an early French coin. Will look it up. I've been binge watching "Designated Survivor" this week. Working on the 2nd go round. Like the show.

Charles who? I'll look it up on the net. We get the KG I, II and III coppers here and I have a William and Mary. I assume English? We do get early Spanish coins here and on great occasion an early French coin. Will look it up. I've been binge watching "Designated Survivor" this week. Working on the 2nd go round. Like the show.
Charles I, English....King of England.

You might be right on the Charles I coin. It's pretty toasty, but the "rose" is pretty clear. I'll try to see what the digital microscope thinks in the am. That's an OLD coin for around here.

Great finds! Days like that are hard to come by.. (for me) for sure... liking all of it...Congrats !!

It is not your normal dig, that's for sure.

Love that Infantry button! The small coin looking piece almost looks like a Charles I, 1634 Rose Farthing? (....but probably not!) They are hammered.

Iowa Dale

It sure looks like one to me also Dale, and we've seen a few been dug up over the years.
Smoking find STC! Getting a Rose Farthing in any shape on this side of the pond is an outstanding find. Congrats!
Here's a shot to what a rose looks like more clearly. Different Farthing same idea.
P1000245.JPGP1000248.JPG

Last edited:
Pepperj, I did look on the net, and with your photo, I'm convinced. Charles I farthing it is. Here in Maryland we do find hammered coins, very infrequently. The Spanish were up the bay in the 1500's. English in 1600's. Maryland was founded in 1634 but Captain John Smith came up the Susquehanna long before then. Where his ship came in is 40 miles or so from where this coin came from. I haven't memorized the monarchs before 1700, due to the nature of not finding anything from their era around here. In my "career" I have found two very old French coins, a James tiny copper coin, farthing I think, an Elizabeth I silver shilling, several Spanish cobs from the late 1600's, with the latest dated 1727, one copper Maravedis, and now this. I've been looking for stuff in the ground a very, very long time. With spells of years not doing any digging at all. Thanks to both of you for the ID. It will get put in a flip and put away! One coin I'd like to dig is one of the Maryland Lord Calvert coins. I've never even seen one in person. I did dig a Virginia halfpenny once, still have it. No other state coppers. Numerous KG I, II and III coppers however.

Last edited:
Very nice finds
Congrats

Congrats Smokey. As always you killed it. Now I'm kicking myself from not meeting you out there LOL. What a year were having. That's your 3rd hammered this year out of 4 we dug. Another confederate button from that site is amazing.

Dang Smokey I figured you'd be on a celebratory binge after digging that gold coin. Congrats on pulling all those keepers during your last hunt, especially that farthing a.k.a. "the little tiny thing"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back