Civil War Canteen Makers Mark?

grahamcracker105

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2005
Hello,
I am just throwing this out here and hoping someone can help me. I recently purchased a civil war bullseye canteen (8 ring) and the makers mark doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. I can make out "Rohrman" on it, but there is more writing on it that goes the whole way around the spout. I have come across "Rohrman and Co." while researching, but mine has more written on it than that. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks,
Graham

Upvote 0
I tried to look even closer and thats not what it says. However, after checking out that link I see that Rohrman was located in Philadelphia. I can kind of make out a "PHI", but I have not come across any makers mark that has Philadelphia along with Rohrman; possibly a scarce makers mark. I can also make out "LL" somewhere in there, or possbily "DL". Thanks for the link.

The maker's name was Joseph Hall Rohrman, so the two L's could be from "HALL." Here's a link to a canteen (first one on page) marked "D J HALL ROHRMAN":

http://www.civilwarantiqueshop.com/canteen.htm

Rohrman's address during the Civil War years was 606-610 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, PA. He was granted at least four contracts to make canteens for the Army: August 13, 1863 - 60,000; October 20, 1863 - 100,000; February 16, 1864 - 200,000; and December 29, 1864 - 150,000.

In the post-war era, at least as late as 1890, the firm produced tinware for the civilian market and was known as J. Hall Rohrman & Son.

Thanks alot for the information! I am now pretty sure that it has "Rohrman" "Hall" and "Philadelphia" somewhere in there. So much for being scarce, haha. When I figure out exactly what it says I will post it.

Thanks Again!

I am pretty sure that it says, "D J Hall Rohrman Philadelphia". I don't think there is a year on it, there is some scratching where it could be. I have been trying to enclose a picture of it, but it keeps saying the file is too large...it was found in S.C. in a sand pit, thats why it is so well preserved....also, on the spout I can see someone scratched in "K". The cork is actually still in (and tightly I might add) it and I don't dare pull on the top because of the the condition of the pull ring. What's weird is that the cork is in great condition...no discoloration at all. I just now have to find what years he was marking his canteens with this mark.
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back