Civil War campsites and Units 1864, Dept of Mountains

MattE

Dec 4, 2007
East KY
Im trying to research which Union Troops (regiment, infantary,ect.) were stationed in Logan County West Virginia near Champanville in 1864. Every record I have research seems to indicate that all Union Troops left the area after burning the Courthouse in 1863. Also, I would like to know if anyone has any information on 1864 Camp Sites along the Tug Fork River (sometimes refered to the Little Sandy Creek).

Also, does anyone know who was over West Virginia's Department of the Mountains?

Ive already tried some database searches at wvcivilwar.com and others....does anyone have any information at hand? 8)

Upvote 0
Matt,

In the civil war correspondences, it's best to differentiate between Little Sandy Creek and Little Sandy River which runs through Elliott Co., etc. I often wonder how many errors were made concerning these two rivers.

Also, try this url: http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html

It's a searchable database of the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion (Civil War).

Hope this helps.

Cavers5

Go to mytreasurespot.com then click on "Diggin" which actually means diggin in Va! Some of those guys there know most everything about the civil war in Va. . You might have to register and log in just like here. Free Civil War Trivia Test there every day if you want to play

cavers5 said:
Matt,

In the civil war correspondences, it's best to differentiate between Little Sandy Creek and Little Sandy River which runs through Elliott Co., etc. I often wonder how many errors were made concerning these two rivers.

Also, try this url: http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html

It's a searchable database of the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion (Civil War).

Hope this helps.

Cavers5
That's all I found in the CW atlas....Little Sandy River,Ky.....Expanded map of 4 state's,doesn't really show much.Wish I could help more,believe me!!.Good Luck....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back