Civil war bullets?

tapoutade

May 16, 2012

Attachments

• image-1097780301.jpg
    image-1097780301.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 224
Unfortunately, both of the bullets you found are from long after the civil war era.

You did not provide any measurement-info (diameter and length), so we cannot tell you their caliber. But the shape of the bullet on the right in your photo shows that it is a 20th-century "Wadcutter" bullet ...a type made specifically for target-shooting, because its flat top cuts a neat circular hole in the target, making it easy for the shooter to know exactly where the bullet penetrated the target.

Upvote 0
The one on the left is a full wadcutter, used for target shooting as said by cannonball guy. The one on the right is a semi-wadcutter, the first of which I have seen came in larger calibers such as .44 and above. Its is designed for hunting game or bad guys. It replaced the old lead round nosed bullet because it made a larger wound channel and was somewhat more deadly at handgun ranges. Some of them are even hollow pointed to provide some expansion at close range. I used these or similar ones in my .44 Magnum for deer size game. For all practical purposes they made the round nose lead bullets obsolete. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back