RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been gifted a few bullets in the past, and I have bought a few as well. I have three here that need a positive ID. I believe that I know what one is, but I am clueless on the other two. A standard U.S. 58 Cal. Minie ball stands on the left for size comparison.

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

I believe this first bullet is of Confederate manufacture. Salvaged lead?

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Just what in the name of Sam Hill is this? Pistol bullet? CS? US?

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

This is a puzzler. I bought it off of Ran Hundley, of Sgt. Rikers Civil War Trading Post. It was listed as a sharpshooters bullet, but it just looks too small to be that. I probably am wrong though. What kind of weapon was this fired from?

Here's a pic of a sharpshooters rifle. (Union) It was used by a man named Lunt from Maine and he was a member of Berdans Sharpshooters. Here's a pic of the bullets this rifle uses. They do look like your bullet. These rifle were hand made by gunsmiths. Gary

lunt9.jpglunt18.jpg

Upvote 0
Great post Rusty! I'm glad to see #3 IDed. I have a mold for this bullet but could never figure out what is was for. ToddsPoint, do you know if it used a sabot?

Upvote 0
Yes a sharpshooter's bullet or a bullet called a "picket" bullet. Made for rifles similar to the one shown.

Upvote 0
It just seems so small...

Number one I am just waiting for a confirmation, but number two is driving me batty.

Upvote 0
The third one is indeed a Pickett bullet. The second one looks like a Spencer.

Upvote 0
I am drawing a blank on the first one. Kind of reminds me of a Lube Groove Enfield.

Upvote 0
Great post Rusty! I'm glad to see #3 IDed. I have a mold for this bullet but could never figure out what is was for. ToddsPoint, do you know if it used a sabot?

I don't think so, but not positive. I think these sharpshooter rifles were .45 cal., smaller than the usual Civil War rifle slug. Check out the rifling on Lunts rifle. Gary

lunt2.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back