kylews8973

Nov 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 130313_931[2].jpg
    130313_931[2].jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 187
Could pre date the CW.....They have come up in many states with No CW affiliation.What type of site was it in....Provenance plays a role

Upvote 0
Looks like a confederate tongue to me. But like kuger said... Where did you get it? Dug?bought? Could also be replica

Upvote 0
Definately the wreath portion to a 19thcentury 2 piece buckle. I have a CS buckle like it. Could possibly be a reproduction, however, it depends on where it was found and what was found with it.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I dug it up at the site of a cabin that stood in a field somewhere between mid-late 1800's

Upvote 0
also along with that not to far from the site of this find I found what I told was a civil war era "rivet" that very faintly shows an anchor on the end. I'll post a pic of it in a second.

Upvote 0
alright you can't tell from that picture that the anchor is there but trust me, it is. It's hard to see with the naked eye but my father in-law has a Jeweler's Loop (or whatever that thingy is that jewelers use to inspect rings) and it's clear as day.

Upvote 0
Right now I would just focus on finding the other piece too that buckle... Find the other piece to it get a Banner find and a lot of $,$$$ in your pocket looks like you got a good hot spot.

Upvote 0
Right now I would just focus on finding the other piece too that buckle... Find the other piece to it get a Banner find and a lot of $,$$$ in your pocket looks like you got a good hot spot.

I found it over a year ago and I've been back to that same spot several different times but have found nothing else. You just gotta think that the other piece would be there still, right? Problem is there's so much metal under the ground most of the things I dig up are old OLD horse bits and square head nails and such.

Upvote 0
.....I see nothing he said that leads me to beleive its from the fabled CS buckle,yes that buckle did have this type of Laurel leaf wreath.....however,I have dug this wreath and have several of my partners and they did not go to any Confederate Tongues.....as said there are an infinate number of tongues that went to that style cast brass wreath.What are the measurements of the belt loops?

Fantastic find by the way!!!!!Always a great feeling to see a buckle dug,especially cast ones!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lot of CW buckles can be found in places that was not affiliated with the war soldiers would keep them and move away and bring the buckle with them, people and soldiers after the war kept them for souvenirs even people in the early 1900s traded and collected them. CW buckles can turn up anywhere after 150 years! I really hope you get a chance too go back too that spot and find the other piece then we shall know for sure! Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0
Lot of CW buckles can be found in places that was not affiliated with the war soldiers would keep them and move away and bring the buckle with them, people and soldiers after the war kept them for souvenirs even people in the early 1900s traded and collected them. CW buckles can turn up anywhere after 150 years! I really hope you get a chance too go back too that spot and find the other piece then we shall know for sure! Keep up the good work!
Why is every thing C.W. with you?This style wreath has been n use since the 1840's and into the 1870's........where I dug mine and others have dug theirs,there has never ever been any Confederate,or State type buckle dug.....but lots of Pre Civil War buckles

Upvote 0
!!!!!! AWESOME FIND !!!!!!!!!!

You dug the wreath of a 2-peice buckle. Get out there and keep looking for the other half of it.

Upvote 0
Kuger is right, that "form" of wreath, for tongue-&-wreath 2-piece swordbelt buckles was manufactured well-before, during, and after the civil war. Some had a State Militia emblem, others were "general issue" for Army troops. There were also Military School and civilian Fraternal-Organization versions.

At first glance it does resemble the Confederate Army version, but could be from a State Militia or civilian-organization buckle. We need better-focused photos of its front and back. Also need super-precise measuements (in millimeters or hundredths-of-an-inch) of the rectangular belt-loop portion's height and width.

Upvote 0
Kuger is right, that "form" of wreath, for tongue-&-wreath 2-piece swordbelt buckles was manufactured well-before, during, and after the civil war. Some had a State Militia emblem, others were "general issue" for Army troops. There were also Military School and civilian Fraternal-Organization versions.

At first glance it does resemble the Confederate Army version, but could be from a State Militia or civilian-organization buckle. We need better-focused photos of its front and back. Also need super-precise measuements (in millimeters or hundredths-of-an-inch) of the rectangular belt-loop portion's height and width.

ok give me a moment to measure/take pics/etc

Upvote 0
Here are some of the pics i just took.

Attachments

• 130313_937[1].jpg
    130313_937[1].jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 130313_938[1].jpg
    130313_938[1].jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 130313_941[1].jpg
    130313_941[1].jpg