Chester Johnson Museum Report

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Just curious if anyone has digital versions (preferably PDF) of either the censored or uncensored Chester Johnson reports from the 1963 Museum of New Mexico probe at Victorio Peak. I read of these reports over and over again but haven't had any luck uncovering any digital versions of the reports to read for myself. Any help out there?
Howdy, Randy!

Have you tried contacting the New Mexico History Museum?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Haven't done anything but this post so far. :)

I thought about the author of the Gold House, but really don't want to bother him if I can help it and figured for sure someone here had them. I'd bet a hundred bucks Gollum does but I don't think he frequents the boards any more.

Thanks for the contact info though Fred, you're a national treasure sir...hope you're well.

As always, you are too kind.

The full name:

Chester R. Johnson Jr., Explorations at Victorio Peak (Laboratory of Anthropology note no. 285) Division of Research, Museum of New Mexico, 1963.

Apparently there are two versions out there. The official one, redacted by the US Army.

And the unofficial, full, one...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone has digital versions (preferably PDF) of either the censored or uncensored Chester Johnson reports from the 1963 Museum of New Mexico probe at Victorio Peak. I read of these reports over and over again but haven't had any luck uncovering any digital versions of the reports to read for myself. Any help out there?

Randy:

Try:

Be sure to also check out the "Related Papers" at the bottom.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Randy:

Try:

Be sure to also check out the "Related Papers" at the bottom.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
Outstanding find Fred...I never thought to check Academia. That looks like a rough draft of the original since the public (censored) version eliminated the reference to Fiege and his group discovering gold at VP. Howard Bryan wrote a multi-part article on VP in 1973 and referenced the two versions, he seemed rather offended by the idea that the government had censored and redacted the original. I believe he quotes the missing parts so comparing his additions to this version should rather easily reveal whether it's the censored version or not.

Here's my formatted version of Bryan's 8th part (in an 8-part series), the entire series is pretty amazing and was also reprinted in total in the El Paso Herald Times (though they stretched it into 9 parts).

Attachments

• Alb Trib Victorio 17 Aug 1973 - 8.pdf
    339.8 KB · Views: 33
Outstanding find Fred...I never thought to check Academia. That looks like a rough draft of the original since the public (censored) version eliminated the reference to Fiege and his group discovering gold at VP. Howard Bryan wrote a multi-part article on VP in 1973 and referenced the two versions, he seemed rather offended by the idea that the government had censored and redacted the original. I believe he quotes the missing parts so comparing his additions to this version should rather easily reveal whether it's the censored version or not.
Howdy, Randy!

The Palace of Governors Museum also has a Victorio Peak "vertifical file" that would probably have various clippings from newspapers and magazines, etc. Once you got there, you'd probably also find other obscure information in files with other spelling variants of the name. Along with the names of the main characters in the saga.

I know I'd like to review the Lost Adams vertical file.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Hey Randy,

Independent_Press_Telegram_Sun__Oct_6__1974_ Benny).jpg

See if I can find more.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back