Checked out some spots in Santa Fe, found a copper round and a car trip from hell

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went out to Santa Fe to visit our daughter and her husband. We drove out and I took a CZ21 with me hoping to find a place to detect some. I managed a little swingin, but it’s going to take some phone calls and research to find good places to detect.

DAY 1
I got permission to detect in the tot lot at one of the city parks in Santa Fe. They let you metal detect a lot of places, but you can’t take anything out of the ground. Most of the parks are considered historic areas. Maybe sometime in the future I can get them to let me go shallow for modern coins and jewelry.

I spent 1.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 20 coins with a face value of $2.38, 3 tabs, 2 little pieces of cheapie jewelry, a lead ball, a copper round, a rabies tag, a key and a piece, a zipper and some foil.

DSCN3335.jpeg

The round is the first one I have found. Copper bullion coins are starting to be more popular. They sell new for about $1.59 to $1.79. This one is selling in new condition for around $2.91 on line. It is an APATOSAURUS copper round .999% pure and 1 oz AVDP. AVDP stands for avoirdupois which is the US standard ounce not the troy ounce that is used to measure gold, silver and platinum.

DSCN3336.jpeg

DSCN3337.jpeg

DAY 2
I was at the house my daughter and her husband bought on the outskirts of Santa Fe. They have almost 2 acres and it is hilly, no grass, small pines and juniper trees. There is some unused irrigation piping and fittings almost on the surface. I went around the house doing a quick check. I spent 1.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 11 coins with a face value of $1.25, some brass fittings, some construction trash and a few camp tent peg type nails used for to put erosion barriers in place.

DSCN3334.jpeg

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I managed to get a few coins in gas stations on the road and while doing my morning walks in parks. I did manage to find a 2009 penny with Lincoln the rail splitter on the back (you don’t see a lot of those in circulation. Nothing great, but you have to keep your eyes open.

DSCN3338.jpeg

DSCN3339.jpeg

At the new home I found a couple of nice little cactuses that were in bloom. They look like common beehive cactus.

IMG_8783.jpeg

IMG_8781.jpeg

A nice New Mexico whiptail.

IMG_8854.jpeg

Some cool cactuses on a hike we took.

IMG_8808.jpeg

IMG_8813.jpeg

IMG_8815.jpeg

On the way home our cars transmission went, luckily only a few miles from a dealer and a hotel. It was 104 degrees on a Sunday and the dealer was closed. It took 2 days to get things sorted out and we ended up selling our car (11 years old with too many repairs and a $10,000 estimate to replace the transmission) and having to get a taxi ride of 96 miles to get a rental car to finish the last 1400 miles of our trip home. Quite a bummer.

With visiting family and a lot of driving I haven’t had much swingin time. Now that I’m home hopefully that will change.

I hope everyone else has had better luck. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 18
Sorry to hear about the car problems.
It seems that dealers want the high end in costs when it comes to repairs, the low end when it comes to the value of a vehicle.
$10K seems like a tad rich for a transmission.

Hopefully you'll find a big piece of bling to offset the auto costs.

Sorry to hear about the car problems.
It seems that dealers want the high end in costs when it comes to repairs, the low end when it comes to the value of a vehicle.
$10K seems like a tad rich for a transmission.

Hopefully you'll find a big piece of bling to offset the auto costs.
Thanks to all for the replies. Unfortunately jeep transmissions are on the high end of the scale cost wise and the $10k does include the labor which keeps getting higher just like everything else.

Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

We went out to Santa Fe to visit our daughter and her husband. We drove out and I took a CZ21 with me hoping to find a place to detect some. I managed a little swingin, but it’s going to take some phone calls and research to find good places to detect.

DAY 1
I got permission to detect in the tot lot at one of the city parks in Santa Fe. They let you metal detect a lot of places, but you can’t take anything out of the ground. Most of the parks are considered historic areas. Maybe sometime in the future I can get them to let me go shallow for modern coins and jewelry.

I spent 1.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 20 coins with a face value of $2.38, 3 tabs, 2 little pieces of cheapie jewelry, a lead ball, a copper round, a rabies tag, a key and a piece, a zipper and some foil.

View attachment 2157421

The round is the first one I have found. Copper bullion coins are starting to be more popular. They sell new for about $1.59 to $1.79. This one is selling in new condition for around $2.91 on line. It is an APATOSAURUS copper round .999% pure and 1 oz AVDP. AVDP stands for avoirdupois which is the US standard ounce not the troy ounce that is used to measure gold, silver and platinum.

View attachment 2157420

View attachment 2157422

DAY 2
I was at the house my daughter and her husband bought on the outskirts of Santa Fe. They have almost 2 acres and it is hilly, no grass, small pines and juniper trees. There is some unused irrigation piping and fittings almost on the surface. I went around the house doing a quick check. I spent 1.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 11 coins with a face value of $1.25, some brass fittings, some construction trash and a few camp tent peg type nails used for to put erosion barriers in place.

View attachment 2157423

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I managed to get a few coins in gas stations on the road and while doing my morning walks in parks. I did manage to find a 2009 penny with Lincoln the rail splitter on the back (you don’t see a lot of those in circulation. Nothing great, but you have to keep your eyes open.

View attachment 2157424

View attachment 2157425

At the new home I found a couple of nice little cactuses that were in bloom. They look like common beehive cactus.

View attachment 2157430

View attachment 2157431

A nice New Mexico whiptail.

View attachment 2157428

Some cool cactuses on a hike we took.

View attachment 2157426

View attachment 2157427

View attachment 2157429

On the way home our cars transmission went, luckily only a few miles from a dealer and a hotel. It was 104 degrees on a Sunday and the dealer was closed. It took 2 days to get things sorted out and we ended up selling our car (11 years old with too many repairs and a $10,000 estimate to replace the transmission) and having to get a taxi ride of 96 miles to get a rental car to finish the last 1400 miles of our trip home. Quite a bummer.

With visiting family and a lot of driving I haven’t had much swingin time. Now that I’m home hopefully that will change.

I hope everyone else has had better luck. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.
Nice finds and pictures but major bummer the 10k trans. If that's your price I shudder to think what the same one would cost here. 😮

After loosing a transmission in Wamsutter, Wyoming during a March blizzard maybe 25 or so years years ago now. I prefer to rent a vehicle from Enterprise when taking long road trips. They always have something with less than 20 thousand miles on it and it really doesn't cost a great deal for a mid size car, that will get 30+mpg cruising mile after mile down the interstate.

I don't know how many miles you had on your Jeep, or, the other repairs it may have needed, but, I bet you could have had a good used transmission installed for less than half that estimate. At least then, you would have a working vehicle that would be worth a whole lot more when selling it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back