Checked out new homesteads today -My Biggest Button & Unusal design to boot!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked out new homesteads today -My Biggest Button & Unusal design to boot!

With most of the snow gone thanks to snow to rain, I decided to do a 4 mile loop today to check out some homesteads showing on an old aerial map. I knew these sites were not of the colonial or early Federal period, but it is winter and I will take what I can find and hunt right now.

With that much walking and a afternoon start there was not much time for detecting and in fact I really did not take the photos that I should have.

I visited 5 homesteads on this hike, 4 of which I am sure are mid to late 1800s sites and possibly some later, but all were gone by 1930.

The 5th homestead had no signs of a more modern foundation and did match more what we find in the early 1800s. However the snow there was more frozen and by that time I was ready for the hike back to my truck.

The entire area is dotted with roads that were cut thru for a pre or post WW2(not sure of the dates) housing development that never occurred, but some old colonial roads crisscross the same area, so you never know what you will find. However, by the looks of what I saw over the 4 mile walk, the entire site within "throwing" distance was trashed by people perhaps since the 50s! :(

At the third homestead I found, there was a bit less trash and snow so I did detect some there, but more in a field like area than the immediate homestead itself. I got a nice reading under a big old cedar tree and out comes a HUGE disc! I was rather surprised to see it was a button and not a broach/pin assy for a lady's apparel....... The shank is that of a button, so I knew then it was my biggest ever.

I found a few other insignificant targets, buckle, dome shape plain button, and some unknown pieces, but the button was going to have to be the highlight of the hunt

When I got home, it measured out at over 41mm which by far is bigger than any I have found. I was not sure of the design,but once I cleaned it, it appears to have numerous animals on it, deer like or something along that lines, so I am not sure of the age of the button, the purpose of the design if any, but it will be a nice addition to my collection

Don

Attachments

• homestead1.jpg
    homestead1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 972
  • homestead2.jpg
    homestead2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 967
  • cellarhole2.jpg
    cellarhole2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 979
  • cellarhole2view.jpg
    cellarhole2view.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 966
  • Trash.jpg
    Trash.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 965
  • Bigbuttonfreshfromground.jpg
    Bigbuttonfreshfromground.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 961
  • 41mmplusbutton.JPG
    41mmplusbutton.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 968
  • Animalbutton41plusmm.jpg
    Animalbutton41plusmm.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 956
Upvote 0
Re: Checked out new homesteads today -Biggest Button find (with a design to boot!)

Don,
That is a super cool button. Very unusual design indeed. I can't believe the size of that thing! :o What type of metal is it?
A neat addition to the collection for sure. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

Re: Checked out new homesteads today -Biggest Button find (with a design to boot!)

ModernMiner said:
Don,
That is a super cool button. Very unusual design indeed. I can't believe the size of that thing! :o What type of metal is it?
A neat addition to the collection for sure. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

Doug
Without a doubt a copper type, knick on the edge exposing the color, it far exceeds any of my colonial button by a bunch, most of the large flat buttons from the 1780s - 1800 are 32-36mm and the 1800-1810 ones got a tad smaller, not bigger. This must be Victorian age I would think, but I have nothing to go on other than what would be period for the homesteads in the area.

The crude animal designs on it are what makes the button "different" besides the size. :)

Don

Those animals on the button almost makes me think it's Native American, you know the type of petroglyphs? I know, it's crazy thinking.

Chris

Very Cool Button Indeed! :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing.

Re: Checked out new homesteads today -Biggest Button find (with a design to boot

seger98 said:
Those animals on the button almost makes me think it's Native American, you know the type of petroglyphs? I know, it's crazy thinking.

Chris

I don't think that's crazy at all, was my first thought too. I'm not easily impressed by civilian buttons but am with this one!

Re: Checked out new homesteads today -My Biggest Button & Unusal design to boot!

You sure its not like a Concho or something to do with horses??

Re: Checked out new homesteads today -My Biggest Button & Unusal design to boot!

Painter65 said:
You sure its not like a Concho or something to do with horses??

Well, it has an intact button shank like any button would have :) and don't think horse related at all, not a rosette or concho...........

Don

Re: Checked out new homesteads today -My Biggest Button & Unusal design to boot

That baby is NICE!

KG6YLL

That is one unique button. I would to hear about the identifation/informaton surrounding it if someone could figure it out.

Sorry to do this, but it is modern 1970s or newer, native American design used on designer ware

lostcauses said:
Sorry to do this, but it is modern 1970s or newer, native American design used on designer ware

I have never seen a 1970s button come out of the ground looking like that, hasn't happended in my soil anyway. Can you find an example to show us? From what I see everything points at it being old. That being said, a true ID is always better than going on believing you have something great and you don't... so don't feel bad for suggesting it if you believe what you say.

I vote old ...(until proven wrong)..nice find :thumbsup:

Looks like wiking art.

Don,
Are you by any chance in South Jersey(?) SJ?
Bill

That is a very cool button...prolly the coolest I have seen in the civilian category! 8)

lostcauses said:

I would have to somewhat agree, definately 1900s looking rather than 17-18.

Don,

I'm not surprised you are unsure of age, as I guess you have liitle to compare it to. As I'm sure you have many Dandy buttons & its not in that category. I have had many Dandy buttons & none like this one, other than a similar size.

CRUSADER said:
lostcauses said:

I would have to somewhat agree, definately 1900s looking rather than 17-18.

Don,

I'm not surprised you are unsure of age, as I guess you have liitle to compare it to. As I'm sure you have many Dandy buttons & its not in that category. I have had many Dandy buttons & none like this one, other than a similar size.

So you have 20th century ones like this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back