Check Todays Finds out....very unusual!

MisterCrabApples

May 23, 2007
Check Today's Finds out....very unusual!

I went to a bank I have never been to before...(I have been CRH for ike 3 weeks now)

They tell me I cant buy coin unless I have an account there, so I set one up and they tell me they have $300 dollars in halves.I tell them I will take all they have. I see the lady counting $100 dollar worth from a cloth bag that she dumped onto a desk. They then send somebody off to grab another cloth bag from the vault I guess. This 2nd bag was like clamped (tied) sealed and she dumps the 1st bag into the 2nd bag and hands it to me for my $300. Least to say I'm a little sceptical of how many dollars are actually in there. (I had just cashed in a box of dimes up the road and the total came to 242.70, which I questioned but I got " well the machine counted them")

THE RESULTS......( allota 1sts for me!!)

3 walking liberties-1 1942 ,2 1946
3 Franklins-1952 1954 1963
1-1964 Kennedy

40 % Kennedys
1-1965, 1-1966, 7-1967, 2-1968, 1-1969

Also
1- "un peso" 1974 (I thought mexican coins were made of silver at 1 time and this seems to be silver)
1-2003 republica de panama "ventticinco centesimos"

There were exactly $300 in halves (19 being silver), the 2 foreign coins, AND $ 7.75 in quarters AND 1 dime.

Any ideas how this would happen??

PS sorry no pics, I dont have a digatal camera

Thanks for reading

Upvote 0
Re: Check Today's Finds out....very unusual!

It is not unusual for smaller coins and even foreign coins to get into a bag that is attached to a coin counter. I've gotten several Canadian $2.00 coins from half dollar bags as well as several large size foreign coins.

At one of the banks where I get cents, their machine tends to put lots of dimes into the cent bag. My best was one bag that had 37 dimes in it. I've told the manager about the problem and they report it to the repair man and for a while I'll only get 3-4 dimes in a bag, then it goes back to 10-15 dimes in a bag.

As a result when I go to cash in my change jar I roll the dimes and take them to a bank that only accepts rolled coins:)

Some coin machines are better than others. I get bags from different branches of the same bank. I rarely get missorts from one branch, but I frequently get missorts from the other. Not high numbers, but enough to be noticeable.

I am not positive how the extra coins get in there, but I suspect that it counted them correctly and the machine just put them in the wrong bag. There is probably a bag of quarters somewhere that is $7.75 short.

Also a lot of times when I cash in my coins I ask if I can see the breakdown of how many of each denomination (especially if the numbers seem wrong). Not all banks can do this but most can. Since I know, or have a good idea, what I was cashing in I at least know if there is anything worth complaining about. I Only have had 2 or maybe 3 times in which I have questioned the amount, and for 2 of those I figured out something I had done which caused my original estimate to be wrong by the amount in question.

Keep a close watch if you cash in there again.

The only other thing I could think of which could cause this would be if you had a lot of Canadian/Foreign coins in the box that you searched and you tried to turn them back in. Many, but not all, coin machines have a magnet which catches these coins and puts them in the reject slot. If you tried to turn some of these back in, perhaps they went in the reject bin and the teller forgot to check it (they should give them back to you if the machine does not count them). The amount in question seems high for that, but something to consider.

thanks for the info guys...

I wont cash any coins back in at the place where I was shorted, because I was short 70+ dimes. I questioned it but didnt make a big deal out of it. I'll chalk it up as a learning experience..

Thanks again

My experience with the accuracy of coin counters tends to vary too. I've used identical machines in different branches repeatedly. Some machines are more reliable and more accurate than others, and I think it has everything to do with each machine's calibration. Some technicians must be better at calibrating them then others. And it seems a machine's calibration can weaken after high volumes of coinage flows through it, which must do something like rattle a sensor loose.

(Calibration is neccessary to "teach" the machine how to differentiate between different coins based on criteria of weight and metal content. A well calibrated machine will make less errors than a poorly calibrated one. If the machine is calibrated really badly, it will mistake dimes for pennies, dollars for halves or quarters, and foreign coins as US.)

All that confusion almost makes me glad that there are no counters around here to deal with.

Silver was used in Mexican pesos until 1957 in varying percentages. The 1974 "un peso" was struck in cupro-nickel,it has not been used as money in Mexico since 1993.

hasbeen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back