Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this in junk pile. It says Check Protector Terry mfg, co. Toledo, O. with hardware store price tag of 50 cents. I know what it is (check protector) but how exactly did it work and when did they stop using these?

Attachments

• MVC-007F.JPG
    MVC-007F.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 372
You ran it across a cloth ink pad and then ran it across the face of a check to void it or to "kill" a cancelled check in the amount line co it couldn't be so it couldn't be cashed twice or at all. (banks used to return checks - and if they were intercepted . . . ). No idea when they stopped using them. Now most banks date stamp. I worked in a payroll department in the early 80's and the first three checks in a roll had to be voided when feeding them into the check printer and endorsing machine before the first "live check". We used something similar that also punched holes.

Some post offices still hand cancel stamps so maybe they are still around too???

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Heres some info I found... in case you had more questions:

http://www.officemuseum.com/check_protectors.htm
Thanks. I found it by following your link. It embosses over the dollar figure, making it hard to change. Scroll down. http://www.officemuseum.com/check_protector_gallery_simple.htm
Grabler Check Protector (a.k.a. Bank Check Protector,
Vest Pocket Check Protector)

Patented 1902 ~ Advertised 1900-30
Columbia Specialty Mfg. Co., Washington, DC (1900-02)
Cushman & Denison Mfg. Co., New York, NY (1905)
Terry Mfg. Co, Toledo, OH1900-02, 1928 Price $.25; 1906 Price $.50
Sterling silver version based on same patent was advertised by Unger Bros. in 1904.
photograph courtesy of Mike Guthrie

Attachments

• Grabler_Check_Protector_1908_adx_small.jpg
    Grabler_Check_Protector_1908_adx_small.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 454
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back