cast metal decor item. sunburst design

annenca

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
tehachapi, ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about 5 lbs. 14.5" dia., 4" center, .5" profile ttl. 16 piont sunburst? not cast iron.
deanne metal sun thing 1.JPG

close view
deanne metal sun thing 2.JPG

back side
deanne metal sun thing 4.JPG

ideas??

Sun dial... The dial would have gone in the middle there, I have dug a few like these before. Looks to be early 20th century or later...

Upvote 0
really??

Sun dial... The dial would have gone in the middle there, I have dug a few like these before. Looks to be early 20th century or later...

Really?? My best was a stove pipe decoration (too heavy) or a lamp(??) base or stand (too flat).

Upvote 0

Awefully small sundial, no? Not disputing it, but most I have seen a much bigger. Regards, Erik

Upvote 0
Could always be something else, however a small sun dial would make perfect sense for this artifact and lot of people have them for decorative pieces around the outside of their home or inside, the ones I have dug are a lot older then this piece, it surely does look like a small sun dial could have gone inside.

More then likely the sun dial would have attached to those small holes on the artifact since it would have been a much newer type small sun dial being the 20th century.. the one below is from the 17th century.

Attachments

• 11_22_1---Sun-Dial_web.jpg
    11_22_1---Sun-Dial_web.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 673
Upvote 0
Also could like Erik said a small clock or compass also... But with the artifact being sun shaped it would just seem to make sense for a sundial.. Be nice if there was a company engraving name on it somewhere..

Upvote 0
Look @ this small sun dial:

Small Latin Brass Sun Dial

Attachments

• Tepus Fugit Brass Sundials 016-145x145.jpg
    Tepus Fugit Brass Sundials 016-145x145.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 51cmjgV8fVL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
    51cmjgV8fVL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Upvote 0
A sunburst clock was my immediate thought, but after looking at the back of it, the sun rays come too close to the open circle to house clock works. There appears to be no way to attach the works so I'm going with HSD on the sundial. The pic below is not the same, but the idea of having a smaller sundial surrounded by a larger piece is basically the same theory. Neat find :) Breezie

Sundial.jpg

Upvote 0
I wouldn't see the difficullty in mounting a clock into it, given the two holes. Are they threaded?
But, does this have any provisions on the back for being hung on a wall? (or, could you show the whole back?)
Great item, and could be used for several purposes... What the original one is I don't know.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back