B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first item the casing, was found by bob the gentleman i hunt with.
I have no clue on this one since the primer has been set in place by 3 points and is a little under 1/2 inch wide.

The second I found while out with MM at a spot where many Civil War items were found.
It appears to be copper with a grove on one side and equal increments on the other. May have been sheared and stamped from a 1/16inch sheet of copper.

Thanks for your ideas and just looking.
I was thinking the small copper piece might have been from a weapons aiming sight.

Attachments

• pic 013.jpg
    pic 013.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 560
  • pic 024.jpg
    pic 024.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 553
  • pic 001.jpg
    pic 001.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 553
  • pic 008.jpg
    pic 008.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 555
Yep, I have that license but haven't used it much since I got into MDing. If I was going to pick one of those cases you have in the pic I would say B. I have all sorts of 8mm Mauser ammo but it is locked away in a safe and I just didn't want to dig it out and look. Lazyitis I suspect. The web of the case is the heavest and thickest part of the case just in front of the ejection groove. That diameter should give you a clue as to the make of the case even though it is missing. Several cartridges have the same rim size but the web diameter may be different....or not! I love to discuss guns, bullets, ammo and especially early stuff. I've been reloading since I was 14 and I have nearly somewhere around 50 to 60 bolt action military rifles in my collection. I haven't counted them lately though but I have shot most of them. My favorite are my Swedes and my oldests is a 1902. Monty

Upvote 0
A .43 Spanish is a rimmed case sorry to say. I don't think it's a large capacity case at all, rather something of the WWI vintage. Monty

Upvote 0
OK, I'm done with this one. I'm going to call it a .30 Gov't (30-06) shell made in 1918 by the United States Cartridge Company . After staring at the pictures from different angles, I finally saw it.

B|lker, I hope you don't mind me "borrowing" your pic from reply #6. Compare the headstamps below.

Attachments

• pic 003.jpg
    pic 003.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 189
  • pic 003(2).jpg
    pic 003(2).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0
The other piece kinda resembles the part the holds a muzzleloading barrel to the stock. I forget what it is called. A wedge would go in the slot.

Upvote 0
...probably not. I searched and this is the closest I found. They call it an underlug. The ones I saw were steel.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(tqibbqq3kgfino552xzpo0yl))/categories/partList.aspx?catId=14&subId=158&styleId=712&PageSize=10&Page=3

Attachments

• underlug slotted for wedge key 2.jpg
    underlug slotted for wedge key 2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 130
  • underlug slotted for wedge key.jpg
    underlug slotted for wedge key.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0
dkw, you did an awesome job and i`m going to print your modifications of my pic for future reference. (Thanks)

Monty, there`s so many cases to look at out there i was just getting excited.

bigcypresshunter, I may repost that incremented copper piece on a separate post but thats a great idea considering all the civil war goodies that were found in that area.

Upvote 0
Good work, guys.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back