Canoe discovered in North Carolina

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Upvote 10
I saw this on the local news, my big question was it looked very flat, I didn’t know if it was filled deeply with that yellow mud or if the sides rotted away? But if that’s the design it seemed like paddling a 2x16 which doesn’t seem very stable

Great find. The canoe was discovered two years ago but only recently recovered. The Office of State Archaeology’s Underwater Archaeology Branch had subjected samples of the wood to RadioCarbon dating which indicated it to be between 910 and 970 years old.

Things like that don’t normally react well to oxygen, pressure changes, etc. super delicate to deal with

Great find. The canoe was discovered two years ago but only recently recovered. The Office of State Archaeology’s Underwater Archaeology Branch had subjected samples of the wood to RadioCarbon dating which indicated it to be between 910 and 970 years old.
Well if you want to see an older one found right down the road from me... 1,100-year-old canoe...

I remember how years ago, a required archaeological survey held up sewer installation long enough for people to start complaining. Survey over, work resumed, workers uncovered an intact dugout. Foreman, not wanting more delays, ordered it buried. I only know the approximate location….

There have been several found in RI. Here’s one…

IMG_1745.jpeg

I remember how years ago, a required archaeological survey held up sewer installation long enough for people to start complaining. Survey over, work resumed, workers uncovered an intact dugout. Foreman, not wanting more delays, ordered it buried. I only know the approximate location….

There have been several found in RI. Here’s one…

View attachment 2079796
Can we get an Idea of what it may have looked like at that time? Dated maybe? I know we could not get much from an image. It could very well be an important artifact. Maybe a little more research can provide a better location. The others that have been found around long island maybe some information on those others would provide useful information. Research just in RI can answer all kinds of questions. It is without question a hollowed out tree. looking at the image. The only problem is Hollowing out trees has been going on for a very long time. Still going on today.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARC
I am assuming many of them looked like these, which are still in use today around the world. made for lazy warm days of calm weather and water.

I am assuming many of them looked like these, which are still in use today around the world. made for lazy warm days of calm weather and water.

Yes they are still in use today, BIG BUT < Here. Look at it like this, There is a big difference between today and what was made 1000 years ago. Today it seems if it is 300 years or more its deemed an artifact. We use Belt Buckles today but what happens if it was From the civil war period or earlier or 3000 years ago it becomes priceless, Just because we have the same today means nothing much. It becomes tradition handed down over the centuries. We have an appreciation for some of the things our ancestors have made and done and we stuck with it. Just like old coins some things really get better with time and much more valuable. When I find an artifact I see a glimpse of History and the stories that come with it. Our past is just as important as our future

Last edited:
Yes they are still in use today, BIG BUT < Here. Look at it like this, There is a big difference between today and what was made 1000 years ago. Today it seems if it is 300 years or more its deemed an artifact. We use Belt Buckles today but what happens if it was From the civil war period or earlier or 3000 years ago it becomes priceless, Just because we have the same today means nothing much. It becomes tradition handed down over the centuries. We have an appreciation for some of the things our ancestors have made and done and we stuck with it. Just like old coins some things really get better with time and much more valuable. When I find an artifact I see a glimpse of History and the stories that come with it. Our past is just as important as our future
Ehhhh... I like half of that :)
Personally... i find the past interesting... very interesting.
But the being as important as the future part... ehhh interesting still... AS important... no.

Not in my humble opinion anyway.
Past was THEIR future turned history...
The future... is ours... God willing... and OUR future history.
(deep huh... yeah i know... :P)
SO... with that said.

It is today that counts the most. :)

Can we get an Idea of what it may have looked like at that time? Dated maybe? I know we could not get much from an image. It could very well be an important artifact. Maybe a little more research can provide a better location. The others that have been found around long island maybe some information on those others would provide useful information. Research just in RI can answer all kinds of questions. It is without question a hollowed out tree. looking at the image. The only problem is Hollowing out trees has been going on for a very long time. Still going on today.
Yes, this article will give you a good idea I believe. Note in particular the 1643 description by Rhode Island founder Roger William’s of the construction of one dugout:

Note also that Williams describes dugouts of various sizes and that the largest dugouts could hold 30-40 Narragansett men!
These were ocean worthy vessels to an extent, at least near shore. And quite likely the largest could be used as war machines. In the late 1500’s, the Mohegan of Ct. attacked the natives of Block Island, some 10 miles offshore from RI. They must have used big dugouts when mounting invading parties.

Here are two notched weights, probably designed for dugouts. Both found on the same section of shore, not too distant from each other. By two different friends over the years. The shore of one of our bays in RI, at the location where huge summer festivals were hosted by the Narragansett.

This notched weight weighs 30 pounds…

IMG_1667.jpeg

Several years ago, a friend told me about a large notched weight with 3 notches. Told me it came and went, visibility-wise, on that same beach. He never attempted to collect it. So naturally I told him to keep an eye out, and try to snag it next time it was above the sands. About two months later he found it again.

IMG_1771.jpeg

Note that it has 3 notches. You can see 2 easy. The 3rd notch is facing the viewer. You can see the depression or deep dimple facing the camera. My friend not only found it again, after seeing it on and off for years, he carried all 80 pounds of the weight the half mile or so to his car. Better him than me, lol. But a great recovery. This certainly seems to fit the bill for an anchor big enough for a dugout carrying 30-40 men.

IMG_1772.jpeg

Dugout exhibit at the Pequot museum in Ct. Note exhibit includes an original long dugout…

IMG_1775.jpeg

IMG_1774.png

IMG_1777.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, this article will give you a good idea I believe. Note in particular the 1643 description by Rhode Island founder Roger William’s of the construction of one dugout:

Note also that Williams describes dugouts of various sizes and that the largest dugouts could hold 30-40 Narragansett men!
These were ocean worthy vessels to an extent, at least near shore. And quite likely the largest could be used as war machines. In the late 1500’s, the Mohegan of Ct. attacked the natives of Block Island, some 10 miles offshore from RI. They must have used big dugouts when mounting invading parties.

Here are two notched weights, probably designed for dugouts. Both found on the same section of shore, not too distant from each other. By two different friends over the years. The shore of one of our bays in RI, at the location where huge summer festivals were hosted by the Narragansett.

This notched weight weighs 30 pounds…

View attachment 2079926

Several years ago, a friend told me about a large notched weight with 3 notches. Told me it came and went, visibility-wise, on that same beach. He never attempted to collect it. So naturally I told him to keep an eye out, and try to snag it next time it was above the sands. About two months later he found it again.

View attachment 2079927

Note that it has 3 notches. You can see 2 easy. The 3rd notch is facing the viewer. You can see the depression or deep dimple facing the camera. My friend not only found it again, after seeing it on and off for years, he carried all 80 pounds of the weight the half mile or so to his car. Better him than me, lol. But a great recovery. This certainly seems to fit the bill for an anchor big enough for a dugout carrying 30-40 men.

View attachment 2079928

Dugout exhibit at the Pequot museum in Ct. Note exhibit includes an original long dugout…

View attachment 2079929

View attachment 2079930

View attachment 2079931
That is really amazing information. Looking at some of the designs I can imagine they knew a thing or two about drag. I can imagine they tried many different things in regard to design to become stealthier. Thank you for posting! :)

That is really amazing information. Looking at some of the designs I can imagine they knew a thing or two about drag. I can imagine they tried many different things in regard to design to become stealthier. Thank you for posting! :)
Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back