✅ SOLVED Cannot ID small metal item found at 1800's house

bobclouser

Oct 20, 2016
Lunenburg, MA
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone -- this is my first post and question. I've been detecting for 2+ years, with my White's Coinmaster. I recently found a small flat brass object at a house from the early 1800's. I think it's some kind of hook or clasp for suspender or gaters or girdle. It has some writing on it: "IMPROVED", "PAT. JUNE 27.98", and finally text that I cannot definitely make out: "THE LINDSAY" (I think that is what it says: the L, NDS, and Y are definitel, the other letters I am not positive about. I wonder if the patent refers to "1898"? It's flat, about 1/32" thick, 1-1/4" long, 3/4" at widest. Please see the attached photo.

Thanks for any ideas,
Bob

Attachments

• suspender clip.JPG
    suspender clip.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 92
I'm with mud hut: garter belt part. I found two within ten inches of each other on one hunt.

Upvote 0
I think I am with mud hut. I think I have unhooked some of them , at the time I cant remember why.

Upvote 0
not saying I'm right but think about it this way
1 3/8" x 3/4" on the clasp makes for a awful big garter belt :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Here are a couple of pictures showing the garter clip and how it's used to hold up ladies stockings. Men might have used them also, because I hunted an old sheep herders camp in the remote desert of Nevada, and I found a garter clip just like yours. I doubt there was a woman living out there with the shepherd, so that means he used it on a garter to hold his socks, or he might have dressed in drag, which conjures up a funny picture in my dirty old mind. I know my mother used them to hold up her nylons when I was a kid.

C2.jpg
The arrow points to the clip.

C1.jpg
These clips have the rubber button that goes inside the stocking and the clip fits over them.

Here are some on a vintage corset.

C3.jpg

Upvote 0
Hmmmm Garter Belt/Sheep? Kinky.
Here are a couple of pictures showing the garter clip and how it's used to hold up ladies stockings. Men might have used them also, because I hunted an old sheep herders camp in the remote desert of Nevada, and I found a garter clip just like yours. I doubt there was a woman living out there with the shepherd, so that means he used it on a garter to hold his socks, or he might have dressed in drag, which conjures up a funny picture in my dirty old mind. I know my mother used them to hold up her nylons when I was a kid.

View attachment 1372747
The arrow points to the clip.

View attachment 1372748
These clips have the rubber button that goes inside the stocking and the clip fits over them.

Here are some on a vintage corset.

View attachment 1372750

Upvote 0
not saying I'm right but think about it this way
1 3/8" x 3/4" on the clasp makes for a awful big garter belt :dontknow:

Big boned girl.

Upvote 0
Research this:

Combined garment and hose support
Patent US 605108 A

This patent was filed by Cora A. Weber Lindsay in 1898.

Upvote 0
Wow -- that seems like it's it! Patent date was JUNE 1898, and the name is right too. Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back