cannonball 3.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 128
  • CW button back.JPG
    CW button back.JPG
    613.2 KB · Views: 92
  • CW button front.JPG
    CW button front.JPG
    702.3 KB · Views: 93
I know nothing about cannon balls, other than what I've read from The CBG, but if that is a seam on the object it is not a cannon ball (I think that's what I remember).

Upvote 0
Need some measurements.

Upvote 0
CBG is our expert, but until he arrives I am going to give my guess. I think you very well may have a cannon ball. But I wonder why you are digging civil war artifacts in your location. Wonder if they had a civil war era training camp there.

Upvote 0
CBG is our expert, but until he arrives I am going to give my guess. I think you very well may have a cannon ball. But I wonder why you are digging civil war artifacts in your location. Wonder if they had a civil war era training camp there.

Battle of Corydon and some subsequent actions took place in Indiana, part of Morgan's multitude of raids, and it did involve artillery (though I cannot recall what pieces). Not sure where specifically the OP found this, but it is a possibility that it's from that series of battles.

Upvote 0
The button and coin are awesome I don't think it would be far fetched to think that's a cannonball finding the button there. I would love to hunt that site

Upvote 0
Thick rust/dirt encrustation on an exacavated iron rellic often makes accurate ID very difficult. All I can say about your encrusted ball is that it looks like a cannonball with a rotted-out wooden fuzeplug in its fuzehole. If that really is a cannonball, I assure you it will DEFINITELY NOT explode from being dropped, or carried in your car. Send me a PM with your telephone number.

As I said above, at the present time it does look like you've found a cannonball. But for certainty....rather than re-type all the instructions for correctly determining whether or not a metal ball is an artillery projectile, let me send you to a very-detailed article (with helpful photos) I co-wrote on that subject:
SolidShotEssentialsMod
When you've followed its instructions for measuring, and you've weighed it on a Postal Scale, tell us the precise size-&-weight measurements.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back