cannonball mystery

mrjasper

Jun 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, just got back from my 2nd trip magnet fishing and found this in a brook under some trees. It was all covered in layers of rocky silt. I have been trying to find out more about it. It looks like a cannonball and has a faint seamline round the circumference. The top has an indented circle but is stamped KPP 272. It also looks like this circular area has faint colour of blue paint. Is it a cannonball and could it be explosive? I have put it in bucket of water! What does the stamping mean? I couldn't find anything on internet. Thanks P1160638.JPGP1160632.JPGP1160641.JPG

Last edited:
Also seems a bit to fancy for a cannonball, I did try to search this out both as a cannonball and a shot put but didn't find anything related...

Upvote 0
Could be a mill ball. They oftentimes have a flat spot.

Upvote 0
...I have been trying to find out more about it...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard mrjasper! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

Upvote 0
I think I have solved it. Brushed the top part where the stamp is with a wire brush and it reads KPP 2.72. I didn't see the decimal point before. I just googled it and it is a shot put as this is a recognized weight for one. I don't know whether I should be glad or not. I quite liked the idea of the cannonball but glad it isn't dangerous! Thanks for those who had a look at this for me.

Upvote 0
Thats funny see if you never asked it would still be a canonball it is what you think it is until someone tells you its not. LOL Pretty cool find though.....Tommy

Upvote 0
I think I have solved it. Brushed the top part where the stamp is with a wire brush and it reads KPP 2.72. I didn't see the decimal point before. I just googled it and it is a shot put as this is a recognized weight for one. I don't know whether I should be glad or not. I quite liked the idea of the cannonball but glad it isn't dangerous! Thanks for those who had a look at this for me.

I initially though shot put, except for the fact its awful small for that, but you're absolutely right. It's for kids. Under USATF rules 2.72kg (6lbs) is the regulation weight for 9-12 year olds and girls up to the age of 14.

Upvote 0
Weigh it and TELL us how much it weighs

Upvote 0
Maybe it's owner didn't know his own strength and threw it so far he couldn't find it again? :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back