✅ SOLVED Can you help identify this unusual piece?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a LEAD item that a friend and I dug yesterday. It was a good 10 inches deep....measures a little over an 1 inch long....1/2 inch wide and is 1/8th inch thick.....back is plain but you can see a pattern on the face, and it has a very slick nice patina. It also has a rather crude hole through it. I suppose it could be a fishing weight, but it was found inland well away from any significant water ways. We're not really sure if it might have been an Indian neck item or just what it would have been.....any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.28.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 6.28.45 AM.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2 2018-07-10 at 6.28.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2 2018-07-10 at 6.28.45 AM.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 70
Looks like a guessing game to here. I'll say a native American neck piece that could double for a fishing weight.Congrats, nice difficult to ID item.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Hey Ole Buddy,
I think it is a Civil War 'camp carved' one inch ruler. I found one similar a few years ago in a Civil War camp area, which also yielded some CW bullets and other items for the era. As you know, CW soldiers had more 'down time' than actual fighting time, so they carved bullets and made other items out of the available lead. As you can see, mine evidently was accidentally reheated and got bent.

LeadRuler.jpg

Super neat find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Ole Buddy,
I think it is a Civil War 'camp carved' one inch ruler. I found one similar a few years ago in a Civil War camp area, which also yielded some CW bullets and other items for the era. As you know, CW soldiers had more 'down time' than actual fighting time, so they carved bullets and made other items out of the available lead. As you can see, mine evidently was accidentally reheated and got bent.

View attachment 1610263

Super neat find :)
Breezie

Thanks Breezie!! That is one neat ruler you found!
It is great to see you here again .. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Upvote 0
It a ruler but not civil war related. About two hundred years earlier. You would need to study symbolism of the Jesuit. Breezy the place you found your shows a valley between two hills or bluffs. The marks represents varas. A measurement used by the Spanish. All are nice finds. They can be found near Native American settlements. The hole represents a cave or vault used to store their goods. There will be more thing around there unless it was drop during their expulsion. It's a part of History we are not taught.

Upvote 0
There are many marking that are cleverly disguised. It's also a map. Look very close at it. The hole is a heart and a mouse. A sign of a stash. This type of artifacts take many years of study. It's unknown to most. It's also something that has a bad past. By that the ones who are responsible want to keep it a secret. That's why it's not taught in any school or college. Every marking on it has a meaning. One day the truth will be told.

Upvote 0
I've got one too. Mine is a two holer. I found it in a field that used to have a log cabin. The logs were covered with siding and when they burned the house down in the late 50's they realized it was a log cabin as it was going up in flames. More to come from that site this fall after beans are in. Just a weight...what lead is useful for. Gary

DSC09010.JPG

Upvote 0
My guess is that it could be a homemade lead sinker. I have found many before beside creeks and rivers.

Upvote 0
That is exactly how they made it To look ordinary. That way it could be hidden in plan sight. If it didn't have the other stuff on it. Then I would agree to it being a lead weight. It has way to much symbolism on it. Something you wouldn't know unless you study it.

Upvote 0
That is exactly how they made it To look ordinary. That way it could be hidden in plan sight. If it didn't have the other stuff on it. Then I would agree to it being a lead weight. It has way to much symbolism on it. Something you wouldn't know unless you study it.

I sure am glad to see you BWB. It has been too long. You are a breath of fresh air, in a world of stale thinkers. It's good to know some things never change.

Upvote 0
thats a cool relic sometimes better to use your imagination and let it be what you want it to be

Upvote 0
Would striations commonly be used to allow accurate sizes when clipping the pieces off ?

bullet-mould-iron-inget-medium.jpg

Upvote 0
Hey Tom, I've been around but very busy. You do have to be open minded in this world. If not you miss a lot of interesting things.

Upvote 0
Many thanks to all who replied .. I appreciate the help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back