Can you add to the List? Garage sale what to buy.

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
Garage sale what to buy

1. Think made in USA!
2. Think my Mom or Dad had one just like that.
3. Think what did I enjoy as a kid.
4. Think like a collector. (This works particularly well with books.)
5. Think Gold and Silver. It’s out there, take the time to look. Always carry a magnifying glass.
6. Think buy low sell high.
7. Think old and new for resale. What does it retail for?
8. Think about specializing. What do you like, or collect, or know more about than most.
9. Haggle, bargain, bargain, bargain!
10. Think quality; don’t buy chipped or broken items just because they are old.
11. ?????????

I also look for...
-cheap priced vintage items with original box and instructions(most of the time they are dated)...
-autographed books(I found 5 last year)...
-boxes I can dig through (i love to scrounge)...
- clothing, it's not my favorite thing to do but I've come away with a 1940's officers army coat ($2.00), vintage sailor's uniform ($1.00), Wisconsin Badgers hockey jersey($1.00 just sold for $15 on Ebay), a Wilsons leather ladies biker jacket ($5.00 sold for $37.00). Good clothing can turn a quick buck.
-hallmarks, maker marks, anything that helps ID and date an item

You are right on the money, Thanks. The autographed book suggestion is great; I sold a YOUSUF KARSH (photographer) book signed by Karsh for $122.50. The autograph made about a $100 difference.

I've got something for you to start looking for, jnkhntr. I went to a garage sale the other day. Found all kinds of stuff. I picked up two little paperweights(25 cents each), one was a frog and the other a fish. When we got home, my sister turned the frog over and said "This one is signed STEUBEN!". And sure enough it was a Steuben paperweight! I put it on eBay and sold both as a lot for $86.00! That's an $85.50 profit! Here's the link with pics of the paperweights http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150433472001&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
I think these things came out in the 1980's or 90's and were sold at Macy's.

This is a great topic, jnkhntr, and I hope more people add to it! If I think of anything else, I'll be sure and add it, too.
sandcreek

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
sandcreek4 said:
I've got something for you to start looking for, jnkhntr. I went to a garage sale the other day. Found all kinds of stuff. I picked up two little paperweights(25 cents each), one was a frog and the other a fish. When we got home, my sister turned the frog over and said "This one is signed STEUBEN!". And sure enough it was a Steuben paperweight! I put it on eBay and sold both as a lot for $86.00! That's an $85.50 profit! Here's the link with pics of the paperweights http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150433472001&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

This is a great topic, jnkhntr, and I hope more people add to it! If I think of anything else, I'll be sure and add it, too.
sandcreek
Thanks, great addition.
Think maker's mark or hallmark.

jnkhntr said:
sandcreek4 said:

sandcreek
Thanks, great addition.
Think maker's mark or hallmark.
Right! Because there are so many mass produced items out there! When I picked these paperweights up, I just thought they were cute and for 25 cents each, I knew I could resell them. This taught me a lesson--even if it looks newer, it still may be worth some money, especially if its signed. Look stuff over carefully for a hallmark/makers signature. I used to look for antiques only, but now try to pay attention to everything at the garage sale.
Another guy told my sister that he looks for good condition, small size womens shoes (with name brand labels or Italian made). He said the women in Japan give big bucks for them :dontknow: . He only buys the small sizes though, because their feet are so small over there. He goes to Goodwill or the Salvation Army thrift stores and gets them for a couple of bucks and said he's been getting $20 to $30 a pair for them!
sandcreek~~

purses are a good thing to look for.always look for the top names , and buy low and sell high

bought a Kooba purse with the original tags for 25 cents sold on ebay for $325

I like to buy groups or sets. This group of books was bought in a box for $3 sold for $110

Attachments

• CronwellSharpes.jpg
    CronwellSharpes.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 852
I know this is crazy...but I will buy enamel lids and glass lids....everyone has a dish that they have broken and I cant seem to keep them in my booth...they go quick.
I also like hitting the sale toward the end..they dont want to take it back in and will often group a bunch for a better price.

And never be afraid to offer lower than the marked price...they can only say no...but often its yes....

Look in the throw all box...where everything in box is a nickel or dime...I have found alot of items that they either didnt know what it was ,or didnt care...but vintage utensils,old pocket knives,old jewelry...

Gypsy Heart said:
I know this is crazy...but I will buy enamel lids and glass lids....everyone has a dish that they have broken and I cant seem to keep them in my booth...they go quick.
I also like hitting the sale toward the end..they dont want to take it back in and will often group a bunch for a better price.

And never be afraid to offer lower than the marked price...they can only say no...but often its yes....

Look in the throw all box...where everything in box is a nickel or dime...I have found alot of items that they either didnt know what it was ,or didnt care...but vintage utensils,old pocket knives,old jewelry...
That's a really good tip, Gypsy! I always look under the tables in boxes--a lot of times boxes don't get unpacked and there's stuff left in those. I also go the outbuildings or garage/carport first at estate sales---it seems the stuff out there is cheaper. I think the people having the sales just get tired after pricing everything in the house and start sorting thru stuff really fast when they get to the garage. I have found all kinds of old toys, linens, books, even a Hull pottery vase($1!) by going to the garage first.
This is a good post, jnkhntr! Lots of good info!

sandcreek4 said:
I also go the outbuildings or garage/carport first at estate sales---it seems the stuff out there is cheaper.
Yes, agree. Most estate sales I see out here are run professionally, but in the garage it always seems there is an old man/woman selling the junk only in the garage. Two weeks ago, in the house, lots of overpriced junk but in the garage cheap junk. There was a broken sterling bud vase and three small sterling candlesticks. I asked how much and the old guy said "$5 for the bud vase because it was silver" I said I would like to buy all, still $5. In the house it probably would have been $50 (actual silver value around $30)

cyberdan said:
sandcreek4 said:
I also go the outbuildings or garage/carport first at estate sales---it seems the stuff out there is cheaper.
Yes, agree. Most estate sales I see out here are run professionally, but in the garage it always seems there is an old man/woman selling the junk only in the garage. Two weeks ago, in the house, lots of overpriced junk but in the garage cheap junk. There was a broken sterling bud vase and three small sterling candlesticks. I asked how much and the old guy said "$5 for the bud vase because it was silver" I said I would like to buy all, still $5. In the house it probably would have been $50 (actual silver value around $30)
When in these out buildings look at EVERYTHING, not just what is obviously for sale. Last week my garage sale buddy spotted a huge coca cola sign hanging in the garage and asked about. The owner said he would have to have $50 for it, which he was promptly given.
This was a 1932 sign made in Nashville, Tenn. It sold 4 days later for $300 at Florida flea market to a vender that posted it for $500. The moral of the story: As "cyberdan" always says "ASK, ASK, ASK"!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back