Can someone pls help me out with this one tribal spears??

koolaidsmile

May 17, 2012
I'm not quote sure what to call these or the age of them but there is no markings. At least none I can make out. I would assume they are some kind of tribal spears?? Any kind of knowledge on these would be awesome and I'd be very great full!! :-)

image-589386912.jpg

image-1052180711.jpg

image-3597192085.jpg

image-1307804872.jpg

image-1502756206.jpg

image-1135007449.jpg

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

Kathy, this is out of my area, but I think they would be called axes instead of spears. You need to post the length/size of these, and it will help when the right person comes in to ID them. WELCOME to the forum. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
They look like antique replicas of some medieval battle axes or a halberd (depending on the size and length if it is a halberd).. They made lot of replicas of Middle Age weaponry in the 19th and early 20th century up until today. Of course real medieval battle axes and weaponry can date all the way back too the Middle Ages that collectors have in their collection.

The pair you have is got lot of wear and tear on it and you can tell they appear too be very old. The pair look like they have been made in the 19th century but can't 100% be sure on that!! It would be really great too be able too look at the pair and see there all made out of in metals,etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This photo is of real medieval weaponry from the middle ages including a halberd

Attachments

• noble-medieval.gif
    noble-medieval.gif
    195.3 KB · Views: 1,427
Upvote 0
If hut likes it...I like it.I suspect you will need to make an appointment with an antique arms expert,museum,university etc.and have those looked at by an expert.I might add that I would handle them very carefully,as some of those items have potential to be quite valuable if authentic.they are very cool....good luck !!

edit.....dont clean anything...have them looked at just as they are !!

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for your opinions. Yes I'm dying to know exactly how old they are. I'm taking classes on antique appraisal but this is not my line of expertise. I really know nothing about it. They are very cool though. No I could never clean them. They def have character the way they are.

Upvote 0
You know what I am wondering though. Why the metal coiling up the shaft of them?

Upvote 0
huts right , they are halberds, as for the metal wrapping around the shaft , i believe that was to protect the shaft from being cut by other weapons while fighting , because then you would have a axe and not a halbred :)

Upvote 0
I'm a long ways from being an expert. That said, I've read someplace that those are infantry weapons, and are intended to be used against cavalry by foot soldiers. They were designed to snag the horse's bridle, thus causing the rider to loose control of his horse. I hope one of the British guys on T Net will see this and give us the straight dope.

Upvote 0
yea boss i have read some of the same , the ground troop could also reach up and stab or hook the rider,,either way i would nto want to be on the receiving end of that thing.

Upvote 0
I believe (and I could be wrong since I am not all into British weaponry) but the British infantry had "Small halberds" for the exact thing that BosnMate is talking about.. In the British army sergeants carried halberds until 1793, when they were replaced by pikes with cross bars.

It could be possible these could date too the 18th century used for British infantry (mainly the halberd on the right)! This Really needs too be checked out in person since there are so many replicas out there. But even if this is a replica made in the 19th century it still brings value and you can clearly tell these are very old in the range of at least 18th-19th century. If this is a legit British small halberd then it would be a pretty kewl score! Good luck and hope we can find out more soon!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Throw in my two cents worth. They appear to be authentic, or at least what one can tell from photos. Definitely have them checked by an expert. That design at the base of the speartip on one sure looks middle eastern. Ottoman or Moorish? Concerning hallmarks, if they indeed are middle eastern the mark may not be so apparent to western eyes. Look up tugra mark on the web, and you will see what I mean. I had one Ottoman bracelet it took me a week or two to find the hallmark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thankyou everyone for giving me your advice and opinions. You all def know much more than me when it comes to this type of antique!! I've had some really interesting eye opening input on these!! For those who answered my listing already I wanted to add more pics and see what else you might think. I'd really love to pick people's brains a bit and try to find out their origin.

image-1522234847.jpg

image-889092256.jpg

image-106343526.jpg

image-3263719710.jpg

image-43336136.jpg

Upvote 0
Throw in my two cents worth. They appear to be authentic, or at least what one can tell from photos. Definitely have them checked by an expert. That design at the base of the speartip on one sure looks middle eastern. Ottoman or Moorish? Concerning hallmarks, if they indeed are middle eastern the mark may not be so apparent to western eyes. Look up tugra mark on the web, and you will see what I mean. I had one Ottoman bracelet it took me a week or two to find the hallmark.

I added more pics if you could hopefully take a peek. Maybe you could possibly get some more info on any other markings!! You've been unbelievably helpful thankyou so much!!

Upvote 0
I believe (and I could be wrong since I am not all into British weaponry) but the British infantry had "Small halberds" for the exact thing that BosnMate is talking about.. In the British army sergeants carried halberds until 1793, when they were replaced by pikes with cross bars.

It could be possible these could date too the 18th century used for British infantry (mainly the halberd on the right)! This Really needs too be checked out in person since there are so many replicas out there. But even if this is a replica made in the 19th century it still brings value and you can clearly tell these are very old in the range of at least 18th-19th century. If this is a legit British small halberd then it would be a pretty kewl score! Good luck and hope we can find out more soon!

I added more pics if you could hopefully take a peek. Maybe you could possibly get some more info on any other markings!! You've been unbelievably helpful thankyou so much!!

Upvote 0
yea boss i have read some of the same , the ground troop could also reach up and stab or hook the rider,,either way i would nto want to be on the receiving end of that thing.

Upvote 0
I'm a long ways from being an expert. That said, I've read someplace that those are infantry weapons, and are intended to be used against cavalry by foot soldiers. They were designed to snag the horse's bridle, thus causing the rider to loose control of his horse. I hope one of the British guys on T Net will see this and give us the straight dope.

Upvote 0
If hut likes it...I like it.I suspect you will need to make an appointment with an antique arms expert,museum,university etc.and have those looked at by an expert.I might add that I would handle them very carefully,as some of those items have potential to be quite valuable if authentic.they are very cool....good luck !!

edit.....dont clean anything...have them looked at just as they are !!

Upvote 0
I reexamined these closely and I def see some letters or markings but I cannot make them out.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back