Can someone please help identify this....

HornHunter

Dec 14, 2015
Lenexa, Ks
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately this is not my find. A friend dug this in Arizona and I haven't been able to find a match on the internet. I've seen several Rosettes that are close, but none with the same back. It's 1.25" dia. thin brass with lead filled back. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 92
Army harness rosettes...most were gilded.

I have a pair still attached to a leather strap found in our old barn.

They date from prior to the CW to just before the Calvary was abandoned to the US Tank Corp. Before WWII.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Army harness rosettes...most were gilded.

I have a pair still attached to a leather strap found in our old barn.

They date from prior to the CW to just before the Calvary was abandoned to the US Tank Corp. Before WWII.

That's what I thought, but with the post being more in the middle makes me doubt it is a rosette. There was a devise like that , that was on the blinker of the horse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The back of the piece resembles a split rivet. Peened/set after being located.

Yes, it's a split back rivet style that would have probably been attached through the leather. I haven't been able to find any pics with this same style of back, and the font is different than most.......can this be used to date the piece?

Thanks for all the responses!

Upvote 0
Maybe look for examples of pre civil war Cavalry insignia. Starting around WW1 at least on collar insignia, the back attachments were different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe look for examples of pre civil war Cavalry insignia. Starting around WW1 at least on collar insignia, the back attachments were different.

Thanks for the direction! I'll see what I can find and post the results.

Upvote 0
Yes, it's a split back rivet style that would have probably been attached through the leather. I haven't been able to find any pics with this same style of back, and the font is different than most.......can this be used to date the piece?

Thanks for all the responses!

FYI...Each base or fort had it's own saddle maker or delegated the repair and replacement task. And each had stores of buckles and other fittings.

depending on the quantity of repairs or replacements, the fittings may have spanned many years. Therefore the font or lettering style changed based on the current supplier...and the number of suppliers may have varied as well.

Therefore dating by lettering style might be problematic, at best.

That's my WAG...wild Azz guess...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back