✅ SOLVED Can someone please date this Pin for me.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• PA01 02.jpg
    PA01 02.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 86
  • PA01-2.jpg
    PA01-2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 89
I'm not sure how some of you are picking these dates. The 1890 on the pin refers to when the UMW (United Mine Workers of America) was formed, not when a member started with the union. Unless someone can show that the pins changed design, the 20 years of service pin could have been presented anytime in the 20th century. The gold 50 years of service pin has the same design, just a little fancier outer rim, and that design would bring it up to the 1940's at the earliest. Their news magazine list 70 years of service awards as well, but I haven't found out if they had a pin for that.

UMW 50 year pin.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The primary clue for dating this object is the specific form on its back for attachment to the wearer's clothing. That specific attachment form is known as a "Ballou Clutch-pin" -- which was invented and first produced by American partners Frederick Ballou and Melvin Moore in 1942, and patented in 1943. Therefore, this object cannot date any earlier than 1942. For confirmation, go to the following link and scroll down to "Type V Discs." Dating Metallic Insignia: Collar Disks

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, I was hoping it was earlier but it seems sometime after 1942.
Thanks again guys !
Keep @ it and HH !

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back