Can someone ID this metal ore ---Solved---

hellhoot

Jan 25, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Hi all im sorry to bother you guys with another ID question already again. but I have a little story about it you all might find funny. My dad goes outside with his metal detector and brings this back and said he found it a few feet from where i was digging the other day and i nearly fell over.....Then he told me the truth a friend of his gave it to him he had it in his flower bed and told my dad he could break it in half and told him to take half of it home to fool me with. and said it was the material that they use in those little packets you find in shoes and stuff that says do not eat on it that keeps things fresh or something i was just wondering if someone knew what it was actually called it is the same color all the way around it including where it was broke and it shows up between junk / foil to my detector. its a bit flakey in a few spots i was able to break off some flakes here and there and is pretty heavy and on the bottom side im assuming where it sat on the ground it has a purple looking hue to the silver color hope ive described it well enough.

Attachments

• DSCN1872.JPG
    DSCN1872.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 204
Re: Can someone ID this metal ore

Burned soda can glob? Breezie

Upvote 0

The little packets are silica gel, a desiccant.

Your specimen does look like it could be Silicon Metal Ore, color can have a bluish/purple tint to it. Silicon dioxide is silica gel and I believe is processed from the Silicon Metal Ore. One use of Silicon Metal is being used in food products to prevent caking. :thumbsup:

Its been a while and minerals aren't my "specialty" so hopefully someone will back me up here. :D

Upvote 0

Thank you DigginThePast I remember now thats what he said it was but I wasnt sure since the only silicon id heard of is for like caulking but Thats what it is. Ill get this one marked as solved way to go man and thanks heaps :thumbsup:.

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

I love the irony of the silica packets saying Do Not Ingest and yet they put the similar product in food stuffs. :laughing9: :-\

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back