Can someone help ID these things?

sms28

Jan 16, 2012
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I've been on this site for about 5 years now but this is my first post so we'll see how I do haha! A few days ago I found an old military camp from 1870 and found a lot of good stuff but these two medallion type things are a mystery to me so if anybody could tell me what they are would be amazing! They are the exact same on both sides about 3/4" long and 1/4" wide

image.jpeg

Thank you everybody for the replies. I'm not sure how to tag people but I'm responding to. As for the tags being from a Japanese POW camp I don't think that's what they are the only thing that was ever located at this sitewas a cavalry camp that was there from February 1870 to September 1870.and so far everything else that I have found dates from the 1860s. and so far everything else that I have found dates from the 1860s. And I am located in North Central Arizona.

Upvote 0
The nearest internment camp from this site was about 100 miles away. The only thing that was at this spot was a cavalry camp in 1870.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
I don't know what it is unless it is part of a multi piece watch fob as suggested in another thread with your identical tag found in New Hampshire- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/247241-small-brass-item-lincoln-bust.html This shows both sides of the same single piece. You mentioned your two are the same as this one piece correct, Lincoln on one side, 50 on the other? I find it interesting that the 50 reverse and Lincoln obverse are 1/4 turned.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I edited the photos so we can all see them a little better.

image (518x944).jpgimage (2) (943x562).jpg

These pieces are very small everyone must remember. 11mm x 20mm or about the size of these earring findings (hooks).

images

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply diggummup I just saw that you commented back on this. And yes that one is exactly the same. I know they're not pow I'd tags since I actually have one. But I agree with you it's odd how they are designed. The only other thought I had was maybe they're a clothing tag of something sewed on to a coat?:dontknow:

Upvote 0
I linked this thread to the thread I posted earlier in hopes of generating some more interest in these highly unusual pieces.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Upvote 0
How about this : part of a multi-piece political campaign ribbon or medal ?

Upvote 0
Interesting piece. Lincoln - the rail splitter.

Looks like both sides are meant to show. I agree with diggumup that they could be pieces of a watch fob or chain. But why two of the same? Were these found together or very close together?

With very specific dates, you seem to know a lot about the camp. Who was there? Possibly an Illinois company? Buffalo Soldiers?

The '50' opens the possibility that is a commemorative or anniversary item. But 50 years since what? Election? Assassination? :dontknow:

Also keep in mind that these old camps were visited by old soldier organizations and/or families long after they camped and fought from there. Who knows what they might have lost...

I looked for a while and can't find anything even close.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Jap....Really?

Upvote 0
I agree greed it's a good idea but like you said it's like both sides are meant to show. I have found 4 of them at the camp and they are all the same but they were spread out over the area closest were maybe 100' apart. And with what I do know about the camp it was a temporary outpost with about 125 men sent from a camp 15 miles away to protect the stage trail and nearby stage stop from an influx of Native American attacks. I'm not 100% sure who was stationed there but it is possible either of them were there. The men were moved back to the original camp once the Indian attacks were halted and within 6 years the stage route all but abandoned due to the construction of a railroad. The exact location of the camp was lost with no permanent buildings constructed just a general location. But I am sure there were a lot of people traveling by wagon that stopped to camp there so they very easily could have lost things. My original idea of what it was was maybe some sort of IOU from the cavalry but most of those were paper.

Interesting piece. Lincoln - the rail splitter.

Looks like both sides are meant to show. I agree with diggumup that they could be pieces of a watch fob or chain. But why two of the same? Were these found together or very close together?

With very specific dates, you seem to know a lot about the camp. Who was there? Possibly an Illinois company? Buffalo Soldiers?

The '50' opens the possibility that is a commemorative or anniversary item. But 50 years since what? Election? Assassination? :dontknow:

Also keep in mind that these old camps were visited by old soldier organizations and/or families long after they camped and fought from there. Who knows what they might have lost...

I looked for a while and can't find anything even close.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I have found 4 of them at the camp and they are all the same but they were spread out over the area closest were maybe 100' apart.

4 of them? Wow! That changes the whole story! And not close together... So in my mind that pretty much eliminates them being part of the same watch chain.

It also opens up the possibility that this is a piece made a for a particular unit or company.

I've read about CW commanders using their own money to buy items for the men or the officers in the company. I've only seen items like cloak clasps and campaign pins.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back