Can someone explain notch discrimination to me?

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a BH Pioneer 101. One site I was doing this weekend has lots of coal, clinkers, and iron it seems, so I was getting lots of "iffy" weak signals. The one coin we found was a clean, strong signal.

Can someone tell me how a certain model of metal detector will reduce these iffy signals, and how I can ignore more iron? I had my settings on "Tone disc" and discrimination about 2:00, per the manual.

Thanks.

Last edited:
But notch won't help you as coke for instance comes in so many sizes from small to huge. The Minelab multifrequency detectors are very good at rejecting it whilst most single frequency ones are not.

But notch won't help you as coke for instance comes in so many sizes from small to huge.

Is coke a byproduct of burning coal? Because I'm getting a lot of metal "clinkers" at this one house and I don't know the proper name for them. Property is 100+ years old and they used to burn coal there.

Clunkers, or coal that did not burn contained iron and that's what you are picking up. Your tone discriminate is working if you are getting a difference tone on the coal.
On my XLT, Iron shows on the bar graph, but does not sound unless it is big, then it grunts. It's built into my coin/Jewelry program. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Coke coal is just a variety of hard coal primarily used for heating back in the day. All coal is made of carbon and carbon is conductive to some degree. Denser carbon like Coke will sound off on detectors and as stated comes in many sizes.... so it'll typically show up all over the place when a detector gives you its ID. Never have found a good way to notch it out however coal does not act like a metal target most of the time. Lifting the coil a bit at a time will often make the coal target disappear quickly... metal targets tend not to drop off quickly. My experience anyhow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back