Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• moon shiners.jpg
    moon shiners.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 140
Junior Johnson and Popcorn Sutton and other famous 'Moonshiners' from North Carolina would be proud! These types of shoes were worn to throw off the 'Po Po' from finding liquor stills. These shoe prints would resemble cow hoof prints, thus not lead the Revenuers to the still. Breezie, proud resident of NC :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now Breezie, you are going to have to explain yourself a little further. Just how come it is you know so much about moonshining?:tongue3:

Upvote 0
Now Breezie, you are going to have to explain yourself a little further. Just how come it is you know so much about moonshining?:tongue3:

Now Duggap, if I tell you, I"ll have to kiss you . . .I mean kill you! :laughing7: Actually, my g-grandfather, who was in the Civil War, NC 7th Infantry, was shot during the Battle of New Bern. His leg was amputated, and after recovery was given the duty of Nurse. Well, that went over like lead balloon. As the story goes, the government wanted to know 'what' he could do well? His reply, make liquor. Shortly after that, the government commissioned him to make Brandy, the first person in NC at that time. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
I was going to say polio shoe but without seeing the bottom Breezies guess is probably correct.

Upvote 0
Breezie, if it wasn't for your g-grandfather and many other moonshiners, we might not have that celebrated sport of Nascar racing.

Upvote 0
I like what Charlie P. (N.Y.) wrote

America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Upvote 0
They are called Foot Pattens..Pattens were worn outdoors over a normal shoe, had a wooden or later wood and metal sole, and were held in place by leather or cloth bands. Pattens functioned to elevate the foot above the mud and dirt (including human effluent and animal dung of the street, in a period when road and urban paving was minimal. They date from the Medieval Period.

SS

Attachments

• Jan_van_Eyck_004.jpg
    Jan_van_Eyck_004.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 200
Upvote 0
Now Duggap, if I tell you, I"ll have to kiss you . . .I mean kill you! :laughing7: Actually, my g-grandfather, who was in the Civil War, NC 7th Infantry, was shot during the Battle of New Bern. His leg was amputated, and after recovery was given the duty of Nurse. Well, that went over like lead balloon. As the story goes, the government wanted to know 'what' he could do well? His reply, make liquor. Shortly after that, the government commissioned him to make Brandy, the first person in NC at that time. :) Breezie
I'll be having a drink to your great ole Great Grandad now Breezie.What stories he could tell I'll bet.

Upvote 0
Breezie, if it wasn't for your g-grandfather and many other moonshiners, we might not have that celebrated sport of Nascar racing.

Yeppers Pat, not too many people know that NASCAR began from young men racing on a homemade dirt track in North Wilksboro, North Carolina to see who had the FASTEST car so they could be hired to be the Moonshine 'runner.' Here's CAROLINA MOONSHINE one of the songs from the movie RED DIRT RISING, which is the movie that tells the story of NASCAR. Junior Johnson has several cameo appearances.

Here's some Jr. Johnson history: Legacy « Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon // Handcrafted Legal Moonshine

I've always been interested in cars; classic cars and have helped to restore several. Back in the early 1980's we restored a 1928 Studebaker Commander, which I named 'Hooch' because it was a Moonshine Runner. It had bullet holes in the back, and when we pulled out the seats to upholster, we found several empty 50lb. burlap sugar bags. That '28 was fast; it had a 354ci (5.8 liter.)

:) Breezie

Upvote 0
Thats cool Breezie. We have a little moonshine history here in the swamps. Al Capone operated stills out of Pinecrest in the Big Cypress.

Upvote 0
My brother and I own and operate a duck/goose guide service and have several people from NC that come and hunt with us. We have enjoyed Mr. Johnson's "work" for years...d2

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back