Can anyone identify this silver artifact?

cryfreedom66

Mar 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, looking to identify the origin or function of these items. Any assistance would be much appreciated! The items are about the size of a cd give or take.

Thank you :icon_thumleft:

DSCN3474.JPG

Were they found in the USA?

Welcome to the forum!
Breezie

Upvote 0
I was going to say that they are possibly wax seals but once I read the they are the size of a CD and since there are two of them, I really have no idea. Maybe take and post some pics of the designs on the rectangular face of the rings as well as pics with them in comparison to an actual object instead of just saying size of a CD, might help. To be Silver and have such intricate engravings, they must be of some significant importance!

Frank

Upvote 0
I was going to say that they are possibly wax seals but once I read the they are the size of a CD and since there are two of them, I really have no idea. Maybe take and post some pics of the designs on the rectangular face of the rings as well as pics with them in comparison to an actual object instead of just saying size of a CD, might help. To be Silver and have such intricate engravings, they must be of some significant importance!

Frank

some additional pics:

DSCN3640.JPGDSCN3641.JPGDSCN3479.JPGDSCN3477.JPG

we were speculating armbands, but they seem too small for that, plus they are a closed loop which armbands usually are not...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First thing I thought of when I saw them was very ornate door knockers. Maybe for a really big set of double doors? Looks like the loop would fit into a bracket and the square piece would be on the bottom and used to strike or knock on the door....just a guess though!

Upvote 0
First thing I thought of when I saw them was very ornate door knockers. Maybe for a really big set of double doors? Looks like the loop would fit into a bracket and the square piece would be on the bottom and used to strike or knock on the door....just a guess though!

a thought we also had, but I should have mentioned they are incredibly light (hollow).

Upvote 0
They do not look silver to me. Possibly aluminum, tin, pewter, or something else. They also look to have been painted in the past.

Upvote 0
maybe a clue is the white stuff in the indents....what is it?

Upvote 0
I'd put my money on Curtain-stays. The only thing missing is the little bracket that would attach them to the wall.............

Upvote 0
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Just wanted to add. They could also be upper arm cuffs, since there is no opening. Have you looked to see if there may have been at one time?
It could be that someone changed them and painted them white - for who knows what :dontknow:

Do a search in google images for - antique hollow silver yemeni upper arm cuff
Change the wording, like change yemeni to indian, india, or add tribal anklet, and act...

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add. They could also be upper arm cuffs, since there is no opening. Have you looked to see if there may have been at one time? It could be that someone changed them and painted them white - for who knows what :dontknow:

Do a search in google images for - antique hollow silver yemeni upper arm cuff

Change the wording, like change yemeni to indian, india, or add tribal anklet, and act...

By the way, women wore the upper arm bands. So, I'm not so sure they'd be too small
Just guessing, but I've been into tribal art, so I knew I had seen something like this before.
Just can't place these exact :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
They look like 100+ year old silver to me. I'm thinking some type of Victorian period jewelry pieces. So far arm cuff seem to fit, but I'm still sit-in on the fence on what for sure these are? Look closely for any very tiny hallmarks, some French marks can be the size of a flea.

Upvote 0
I have no clue either as to what they are but the designs of the engravings on them, appear to be Medieval. However, a Medieval motif in the engravings could have been done/used at anytime since the Medieval times.

Frank

Upvote 0
Fancy show saddle stirrups?

Upvote 0
Do you have any updates on this? I am curious as my family has a similar item that was gifted to them years ago. It is exactly the same except for the engraved pattern. We were never told what it was, though, so this post is the first clue we have seen in some time. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back