✅ SOLVED Can Anyone Identify thie Fossil??

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this up about a year ago near an old granite quarry. It's about the size of a hardball or a bit smaller. I haven't been able to find anything quite like it online so I'm still clueless about it.

I had more or less forgotten about this one but I figured this would be the best place to get it identified.

Thanks in advance.

fossil 003.JPGfossil 004.JPG

Could it be a fossilized tree nut similar to this one? hh
BK

Attachments

• mysteryfoss38_big.jpg
    mysteryfoss38_big.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
Could it be a fossilized tree nut similar to this one? hh
BK

Dunno. I was hoping you did. Plus, it's pretty big for a nut. It's about the size of a baseball.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a fossil! It looks more like a native tool used to trim spear shafts! Or axe handle type shaving tool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it's a fossil! It looks more like a native tool used to trim spear shafts! Or axe handle type shaving tool.

I wish it was a native relic because they're REALLY hard to come by in my area. But ,I'm pretty sure it's a fossil. It's too perfectly symmetrical to have been made by hand imo. I may be wrong though. That's why I posted it here for the experts to diagnose.

Upvote 0
Oh heck.
I just noticed I misspelled the word "this" in my thread title. That's the one part of a post you can't edit (of course). :(

Upvote 0
It's a so called "stone core" from a fossil bivalve (bivalves are clams, oysters and the rest of the two shelled molluscs). The dead clam wwas buried and filled up inside with silt or mud as the flesh rotted away. Then the whole thing fossilized but the material that made up the fossil shell was later disolved by acids inside the soil. The stone core was all that was left and waited for you to find it.

Upvote 0
It's a so called "stone core" from a fossil bivalve (bivalves are clams, oysters and the rest of the two shelled molluscs). The dead clam wwas buried and filled up inside with silt or mud as the flesh rotted away. Then the whole thing fossilized but the material that made up the fossil shell was later disolved by acids inside the soil. The stone core was all that was left and waited for you to find it.

Thank you very much. I figured it was some type of sea creature or mollusk after finding some similar pics online, although none that matched mine exactly.

Here are my next questions. Are these things worth anything to anyone?? How old is this thing??
Oh and one more, how do we mark something "solved"??

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back