gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
brass.jpg

This came from a yankee campsite, all items found here were civil war or earlier no junk or modern day.

it's thin brass. I'm hoping someone can tell me the symbol on it.

It's the Shriners symbol (they were formed in 1870) Although this may be older & of Masonic origin. Anyways, this should help you get a good start on your research.
The emblem on the front of the fez, the crescent and scimitar, is an important part of the fraternity’s theme, and is representative of the characteristics embodied by the Shriners.

The scimitar stands for the backbone of the fraternity, its members.

The two claws are for the Shriners fraternity and its philanthropy.

The sphinx stands for the governing body of the Shriners.

The five-pointed star represents the thousands of children helped by the philanthropy each year.

The emblem also bears the phrase “Robur et Furor,” which means “Strength and Fury.”

Attachments

• image-2595960924.jpg
    image-2595960924.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 505
Upvote 0
I am confident it's off a dress sword hand guard. Why would the shiners have a dress sword?
brass.jpg

Upvote 0
I would say you're right. There are tons of fraternal swords out there, just do a quick google search & you will see. I have one myself that was passed down in my family. Here's one similar to what I have with the star & crescent moon. This was also a Masonic symbol (the Shriners came from the Masons).

Attachments

• image-2003331695.jpg
    image-2003331695.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
Why would the shiners have a dress sword?

Oh, you hadda have a sword, and a cool uniform, and a band…

Band1920.jpg

Upvote 0
thanks guys, I didn't know but I was on the phone with my dad and he said he found a watch cover with the date 1868 in the same spot.

I guess an old house was near by there.

We sure did well there though, 11 eagle breast plates and 3 us box plates, and the "c" half of a CS spur and a bunch of buttons and mini balls.

Wish I could have more times like that.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back