Can anyone help me identify these, I’m really new and definitely not an expert

MacTectorist

Greenie
Jul 4, 2022
Negaunee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540
What I think I found: a musket ball, a minie ball, an old H stamped long shell, and a twisted bracelet that reminds me of Roman or Viking era. Anyone have any thoughts or information?? Dug at an 1860’s site in the Upper Peninsula of MI.
IMG_0605.jpeg
IMG_0604.jpeg
IMG_0600.jpeg
IMG_0602.jpeg
IMG_0603.jpeg
IMG_0606.jpeg

Upvote 6
The shell case is a fired Hornady .22 long rifle round. Your bullet ID is right. The bracelet could be from any era up to modern date.
I’m not sure that’s a Hornady round… That too was my first thought, then I remembered that Winchester had a small arms line etc that had the head stamp of an H for many years and they were in production at that time. Hornady didn’t start until 1949 or thereabouts, but Winchester was banging out the “Henry” rifle in mid to late 1850's??, (named after B. Tyler Henry the designer)…the company started as the New Haven Arms Company….all ammo produced by them was marked “H”. The gun did well so the company became Winchester and eventually the Henry became the model 66. That gun and their center fire ammo was such a success for them and was used by many…Winchester became an actual company in 1866, but I believe the New Arms co. started a decade earlier give or take a couple years. They continued to mark the center fire ammo with an H up until somewhat modern times I believe. I haven’t used Winchester .22 in over 20 years and I seem to remember the H on some of the cartridges then?! Living in Minnesota for so many years, Federal ammo was a major go to, produced locally, dependable and cheap! So the dating of site with the look of that casing and the H leads me to believe it’s a Winchester round.

I’m not sure that’s a Hornady round… That too was my first thought, then I remembered that Winchester had a small arms line etc that had the head stamp of an H for many years and they were in production at that time. Hornady didn’t start until 1949 or thereabouts, but Winchester was banging out the “Henry” rifle in mid to late 1850's??, (named after B. Tyler Henry the designer)…the company started as the New Haven Arms Company….all ammo produced by them was marked “H”. The gun did well so the company became Winchester and eventually the Henry became the model 66. That gun and their center fire ammo was such a success for them and was used by many…Winchester became an actual company in 1866, but I believe the New Arms co. started a decade earlier give or take a couple years. They continued to mark the center fire ammo with an H up until somewhat modern times I believe. I haven’t used Winchester .22 in over 20 years and I seem to remember the H on some of the cartridges then?! Living in Minnesota for so many years, Federal ammo was a major go to, produced locally, dependable and cheap! So the dating of site with the look of that casing and the H leads me to believe it’s a Winchester round.
Here is a link to to a listing of headstamps and the manufacturers…. It looks like there were two other manufacturers of ammo with an H, although both are located in Germany and this site does not give dates of manufacture, so one would have to do some more investigating…. 🤔

I agree with the Henry ID and suggest it is a little longer than a long rifle, maybe a .22 Winchester rimfire (WRF).

The lead ball looks a little small for a musket, likely for a muzzle loading rifle or pistol. I think I see the marks of a rifled shotgun slug on the second projectile. The last one is indeed a very old one of the Minie type. Likely the shape and caliber would allow someone to identify it to a specific firearm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back