Calling on Button Experts to Help Me with This One - Beuatiful Button with Picture

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need help with this button. I dug this up in Statesville, NC and do not know much about it other than it is really cool looking. The button is thin and flat and has a highly detailed baby on a swing (maybe)? with a ribbon draped over the back of his neck. Really details as there is a belly button on the baby and everything. I would love to know more about it - time period it was made and anything other facts about it or buttons of its kind. Thank you all in advanced for helping me - you are the best!

Attachments

• Decrotive Button - Baby on a Swing3.jpeg
    Decrotive Button - Baby on a Swing3.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Decrotive Button - Baby on a Swing2.jpeg
    Decrotive Button - Baby on a Swing2.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Decrotive Button - Baby on a Swing.jpeg
    Decrotive Button - Baby on a Swing.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 74
I may be an ex spurt, but I'm not an expert.

As a SWAG I would say that is a very fancy Dandy Button.

Congratulations on a unique find.

Upvote 0
Dug, not a button expert here, but I see too on the buttons face what you described, a baby or a cherub on a swing. That is a cool find and a great looking button. Congrat's.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Says 1800's but does anyone have a more narrowed time frame it would have been manufactured and worn?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know more about a more specific time range for this button?

Upvote 0
It's a cherub on a swing. Most likely Victorian, after the Civil War, but before 1900. If you must have an exact date, use February 18th of 1875.

Good luck and be careful in Statesville, the natives get restless after dark!

Upvote 0
Late Victorian 1890 - 1910. Cherubs/Putti were wildly popular with Victorians. You'll find them in everything from buttons to architecture.

Upvote 0
Agreed, cherub circa 1880s-1900.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back