Caddo Indian Collection Stolen form Arkansas University

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
MAGNOLIA — An invaluable collection of intact bowls and bottles crafted centuries ago by Caddo Indians has been stolen from a storeroom at Southern Arkansas University, where they were awaiting return to members of the tribe.

Whoever took the artifacts, bearing intricate designs characteristic of the Caddo, will probably be able to dispose of them quickly on the antiquities black market, said David Jeane, a research archaeologist at the university.

“The Caddo were probably some of the finest ceramists of any of the North American Indians,” Jeane said. “Their pots are considered high art and they will go rapidly on the market.”

Southern Arkansas University officials announced on Friday their discovery the day before that the artifacts were missing. The discovery was made by Jeane and Jamie Brandon, station archaeologist at Southern Arkansas University, as Jeane showed Brandon around the school’s new archaeology offices on his third day at a new job.

Jeane said Southern Arkansas University archaeologists had not been in the locked room holding the artifacts all summer. The door showed no sign of forced entry.

“I got the key and turned on the light,” Jeane said. “When I did, there was one of the Caddo Indian pots lying on the floor, so I knew something was not right.”

Left behind by whoever stole the artifacts were thousands of shards from broken vessels, arrowheads and other items.

Brandon said it was possible the thief had a key to the room, or it was left unlocked during the department’s move to its new quarters.

The stolen items were among a large collection unearthed in 1980 at a Caddo Indian burial site named Cedar Grove in Lafayette County.

“This pottery (was) the offerings placed in the graves with the bodies,” Jeane said.

After studying the artifacts for more than two decades, the Southern Arkansas University archaeologists were preparing to turn the items over to descendants of the Caddo Indians who live in Binger, Okla., according to Brandon.
http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2006/08/06/news/0806arartifactsstolen.txt

Upvote 0
That is sort of like the room made of gold that was stolen and the diamonds years back that where also stolen and yet another,a mesuium that had some very expensive paintings stolen, I have read through different books and other places on the net.Must be some kind of underground thugs doing the histe and probably sell them or trade them for drugs and such. :o
They all sounded like in-side jobs to me.

I agree on the inside job. There is a lot of that going on today. Before relics had the value they do now no one cared one way or the other...I remember when I was in college we...everyone...had access to the lab and museum...there were always relics laying about...axes points pots....no one thought anything about it really and value wasn't high enough to risk being caught pilfering. Since I graduated, there has been at least one major robbery of the museum, but funny thing...the crooks had keys. Also, and I hate to say this, but a lot of what is dug and donated never makes it into the mainstream collection....two reasons, first sticky fingers...second...they honestly don't have storage facilities or places to display all the stuff.

During the time I was in college a man down south donated a collection to the museum there. Dr. Gregory went down to assess the collection and saw a few burlap bags of relics in a small storage building. He told the man that really wasn't that much and would be no problem getting it....the old fellow told him he didn't understand and took him to a huge barn with the burlap bags stacked to the ceiling on all sides with relics....now that presented a problem....lol

Atlantis

I would do some finger prints,foot print checking, DNA if any gloves or break-in utensils where left behind and even alarm/camra malfuntioning or covered up, check for windows being cranked open, roof openings and vents big enough to crawl through end of course broken doors and such that includes sewer and underground water leads..If there is none of this evidence it has to be inside job.Somebody infiltrated and got the stuff to open doors and such or was working with the thugs. ;)
You know there is a nother snappy way to do that stuff if your haveing stuff brought in always check items big enough to hide in, someone could be hiding in boxes or other movable items and then be able to just walk back out after steeling the item...But to me it's an inside job with paid help!

After studying the artifacts for more than two decades, the Southern Arkansas University archaeologists were preparing to turn the items over to descendants of the Caddo Indians who live in Binger, Okla., according to Brandon.

Jeane said Southern Arkansas University archaeologists had not been in the locked room holding the artifacts all summer.

Doesn't sound like they were in TOO big a hurry to turn them over. Don't get me wrong, I'm as sad as the next guy they wound up missing, but I can't see how locking up artifacts behind closed doors for two decades benefits the public. I also can't see how if these artifacts were so important, that proper security wasn't afforded.

I wouldn't call'em "thugs", but maybe greedy no good people that have no respest or care about indian artifacts. Money........It's all about the money these days. I know of a well known collector that put on a show and if you display in the show you are not supposed to display fake stuff. It was brought to the host's att. and he replied with "It's all about the money!" Are you kidding me? I have many views on this subject and could talk about'em all night. I won't rant and rave, but look at it this way lots of people donate things to museums and will till the end of time. Now I ask you this Where are all of the things that are donated? If you go ask someone who work's there where all the stuff is........."It's in storage down stairs! Yeah.......it's down there for a little while and after awhile it slowly disappears and ends up in private collections and on the market. It's a sad sad story, but it's true. Sorry if this upsets anyone on here, but ask anyone who is a big collector and see what they say. I guess I did kind of rant. LOL!
Sincerly,
badandy

Okay this is slightly off topic but it's too amazing not to share. A professor and I were taking a load of junk to the dump after cleaning up from the field school. Unloading the trailer and a car pulls up behind with a little old lady.. I didn't pay much attention until I seen the look on the profs face...eyes as big as saucers as he's talking to this lady and looking in the trunk of her car. To make a long story short... here's this older lady who's husband had recently passed away. She had tossed a couple of bags of ordinary garbage in the dumpster at which point my prof went to help her (old old OLD lady here keep in mind) After getting the garbage out he finds the bottom of the trunk filled with Mayan pottery!!!!! Her husband had worked in S. American some darn place (don't honestly remember what she said he did or where) during the 1940's, and he collected artifacts. She was there to toss the old things- "dust collectors" she said!!!!! She ended up donating them to the college vs. throwing them out- all together there were about 20 of the most amazing pieces I've ever seen. Last time I was up in Point they were still on display in the college. I think they appraised at a couple of hundred thousand dollars all together!

I suppose that is probably true..So when you donate something make sure it gets to where you want it to go and not in someone elses house so they can use it for their own greedy self.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back