Cache of the Day!

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hi all. Finally had a break today and took the MD up to a local park/swimming creek in Boulder. Much to my dismay all the lawn areas were roped off for reseeding, so I ended up down by the creek checking what few sandy beaches the area offers. In one area downstream from the main park, I got about my 50th overload signal, (Boulder Creek is full of junk iron), but this one turned out to be what I thought was a tobacco tin. I couldn't believe it was intact as it was definitely buried below high water level. When I finally freed it from the roots etc., I could definitely hear a rattle inside. I decided to leave it closed until I got home and could get some pix of it. Seems to be a kids cache, but would like some input on trying to figure out how old it is. All three coins are dated 1949, and show wear. Does anyone recognize the tin? Is it from that era? Early 50's or so? Any opinions are appreciated. Happy hunting all~CO2 ;D

Attachments

• Dcp02824.jpg
    Dcp02824.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 805
  • Dcp02825.jpg
    Dcp02825.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 805
  • Dcp02827.jpg
    Dcp02827.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 782
Upvote 0
CO2, from the hairstyle I'd say probably from 30's on the tin. Similar hair style when the Charleston was popular. Neat find in any case-some kid left a lot of memories behind.

i believe this is from the 50's or 60's looking at the tin I live near Hershey and have always been into the advertising that Milton Hershey did (well his marketers anyway) if i get a date that this ad was used i will post agian

Makes me want to put all my sons toys in a tote and bury them. lol I've been thinking of making a time capsule myself. Any ideas on making the perfect container to protect the goodies I place in it? I'm thinking a few photo's and my grams bread recipe. Sort of a shrine to her that I'm hoping someone will dig up in the next 50 to 100 years. She had 15 kids and they averaged 3 or 4 kids each. I have, at last count 74 cousins. I come from a decent sized family and I know I could get some of my aunts and uncles to contribute. She was and still is well known throughout the community. I only think its fair to acknowledge her as a local legend. Sorry if this seems a bit off topic. Any opinions are more then welcome. Swiz

Thanks Resq937 and great guess Stone. Was in GJ last few days and put this in front of my dad. He guessed it in the 20's based on the "Flapper" hair style the little girl is sporting. Thanks for the difinitive answer R937. I wish I had your research skills, wasted alot of time and basically got nowhere....Lots of replicas on E-bay but no dates!~CO2

CO2-- ;) Sometines we get lucky but I have missed a few as well.
Swizzle--I think rtde's idea is better for the long haul although Omni's is good as well. Would reccomend that paper be sealed in a vacumn bag of some sort to eliminate moisture decay. I've also seen plastic ammo type boxes with a waterproof seal around the rim.
Or-----you can put it inside a Christmas fruitcake and wrap it back up----should easily last 75 years or so.LOL

hey Co2 sweet find ;D A quick question off topic... you said you were in GJ THE LAST COUPLE DAYS, does GJ stand for Grand Junction? I was raised there small world lol congrats and keep up the good work HAPPY HUNTING MAJIK

On another note, just noticed the paper in the lid (Duh). Did you see what might be inscribed on it? Just curious.

Hey Majik....It does indeed stand for Gr. Jct. I spent 20 years in Palisade. Still have some property there.
Stone....It looks like paper but is actually residual adhesive. I cleaned up the tin a couple of days ago to try and find any markings at all. None to be found but the bottom has a texture similar to a window sceen. Never seen anything like it on modern tins. I'm going to post another set of pix in the next couple of days with the waxy substance and the cleaned tin. I'm hoping someone may recognize what the wax was. Turned out not to be a wick in it. Mysterious at best. Thanks for all the input everyone~CO2

I love the stuff you've found the CO2!

Can't offer any help on IDing the tin but it looks to be of the same era as the coins, to me it does anyhow :)

Is that a nickel on the right? 1949? If it is I don't think that one is silver if I'm reading my Red Book correctly Floater (Dave).

From what I've read in the Red Book the Nickels were only silver from 42 to 45 I think. They needed the silver for weapons during the war.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the dates everyone. I don't have the book with me at the moment and I'm going off of my poor memory :)

Rod

Hey Rod. It is a 49 nickel. There's another post with close-ups of the contents of the tin called "Cache Close-Ups". 2nd page of today's finds. ~CO2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back