C garage sale find.. this 30 lbs cannon with markings. See photos any information would be greatly appreciated

paul78

Greenie
Jul 11, 2024
IMG_0659.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpeg
    IMG_0670.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0671.jpeg
    IMG_0671.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0675.jpeg
    IMG_0675.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Upvote 19
As AlabamaRelic points out, your cannon appears to have been sleeved. This most likely indicates that the cast iron was poured around a tubular steel liner, which is a sign of 20th century manufacture. Another thing to look for is the method used to finish the rough casting. Original cannon would have been smoothed with a file; a modern reproduction may have marks showing the use of a grinder.

To me if you look at post #11 & picture #4 it looks like the cannon was overloaded & the cannon blew the bottom out.

Then to me it looks like somebody sleeved the bore/barrel & then welded up the blown out spot in the cannon to repair/save the cannon.

Any way it is still cool & a awesome find.

AMAZING find :) CONGRATS

IMG_3213.jpeg
As AlabamaRelic points out, your cannon appears to have been sleeved. This most likely indicates that the cast iron was poured around a tubular steel liner, which is a sign of 20th century manufacture. Another thing to look for is the method used to finish the rough casting. Original cannon would have been smoothed with a file; a modern reproduction may have marks showing the use of a grinder.
IMG_3212.jpeg

Definitely appears to have been ground on with a power grinder? Weird to see the fine parallel groove marks, then the heavy course above it in the first photo.

Shouldn’t there be a proof stamp somewhere if it was military? Doesn’t appear to have been able to handle a proof load.

Cool find.

Last edited:
Modern-ish garden ornament. Not military, definitely not a carronade. It's double pointed arrow, not a broad arrow. the proportions are all wrong to be a real gun- It would taper from breech to muzzle, not bulge in middle round the trunnions.

Ok I am being JEALOUS NOW How much are they asking for it ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back