Buying your first dredge. This is what I would look for.

if I could add my two cents worth
for someone like me even at $1.800 its still not a deal. Let me explain when i first joined tnet and I asked about building a dredge i was told to find and buy a good used dredge which I would normally agree with but because of where im at in the midwest there are somethings I have to take into consideration 1. finding somebody close to the seller to take a look at it for me since I am in Illinois and 2500 miles away. Unless I was going to take a trip to Cali which I dont see in the near future. So hear are some things I have to take into consideration paying someone min of gas money for their time to take a look at it for me which it may cost me more then gas which if I look at it would cost $100 plus $100 to $150 for crating plus $450 to $500 for shipping then I also have to look at was it stored right or do I have to buy a carb for it which is another $30 to $40 plus shipping so what someone in Cali thinks is a good deal when I look at it it is but it isnt a good deal. Just my two cents worth

I'm in the same boat. I find great deals on ebay and Craigs list, but by the time you figure in shipping handling it's no longer a great deal.

Yep, always buy 'local' if dealing with CL, always bring backup though something short of Lawyers, Guns and Money should be sufficient, but not always! Guns and money should be fine, or you could just take a gun and no money but I don't advise it.

File that under "how to buy" along with Reeds excellent write ups that go into much detail about specifics, which he kindly linked here and really should be required reading PTP.

Anyway it's all relative, the thread is "what I would look for" You make good points and I agree 100% I just felt it was so obvious as to not even be worth mentioning. I skipped over a lot in the OP like the how to buy/negotiate price, what to look at/for when determining what you might pay for something. No need to write a book IMO.

-Actually most importantly, if the logistical requirements of the purchase aren't somewhat obvious to begin with, I would not recommend attempting to place yourself on a river bottom along with 60+ lbs of lead. Period.

It's fun to search far and wide for the 'deal of the century' and I even do it once and a while out of curiosity. Honestly though you are probably just wasting your time if its not within 1-2 hours drive.

Anyway enough poo pooing and pedantics. Link something you think is a deal that's what this thread was intended to be about. There have to be hundreds if not thousands of dredge deals better than my example.

Last edited:
And when selling equipment in the mid-west theres always the reply that they don't have the money because of the economy! and really low ball the offer or never return the call/email

And when selling equipment in the mid-west theres always the reply that they don't have the money because of the economy! and really low ball the offer or never return the call/email

some people like to haggle and some don't just set your price so you have room to haggle set you bottom price and don't go any lower.

I look at this way money talks and BS walks. Cash and carry sale only I don't hold it for any one. been there done that and your holding the bag with empty pockets.

I like to haggle myself but when some people call about what you have they want to lowball the price BEFORE they even see what you have........Ive even said that id take them out to try it and see if they like it..............and then again theres some people that just want to know what you have and didn't ever have any intention to buy from the beginning!

I was selling a Fisher GBII for an elderly friend through a classifieds program on the radio & I asked $450.
I had several calls in the first half hour & one of the first questions all but one person asked was if I could come down on price. They all got the same reply. Not at this time. The guy that didn't ask if I would come down on price stopped by & handed me cash with a smile.
BUT, the real winner call was the guy who had never used one before & wanted to know if he & his girlfriend could take it for the day & see if they could find gold with it. If necessary he would even rent it for the day for $50.00. I told him possibly with a $450.00 cash deposit. He said he could maybe leave his drivers license & a $200 deposit. I said if you don't have the $450 to leave for a deposit then why are we talking. He said he had that much, just didn't really want to leave it... Promised he will call me back today...:tongue3: Too late! Takes all kinds I guess

yep I love them kind of people! I was at a club outing and had 2 metal detectors for sale and the club had a MD hunt , people that didn't have a MD asked me if they could use it for the hunt , ...................I said yes hopeing for atleast some sort of a offer , but when they returned it after several hours of use , they didn't even say thanks for the use! that's the LAST time ill ever do that again!

I tried buying one from CL, no one wanted to ship ! regarding that I am thousands of miles away (I am in Africa, if you didn't noticed ) :tongue3:
One of the sellers replied with an offer to ship, but asked for expenses of crating, material, time and shipping = more than the dredge price itself :dontknow: Shipping alone is a killer :BangHead:

So I decided to go the other route and try and build one , and import some hard to find parts , all the other parts will be bought/made locally :hello2:

I tried buying one from CL, no one wanted to ship ! regarding that I am thousands of miles away (I am in Africa, if you didn't noticed ) :tongue3:
One of the sellers replied with an offer to ship, but asked for expenses of crating, material, time and shipping = more than the dredge price itself :dontknow: Shipping alone is a killer :BangHead:

So I decided to go the other route and try and build one , and import some hard to find parts , all the other parts will be bought/made locally :hello2:
Well good luck! your on the right website to ask questions on its construction!

Well good luck! your on the right website to ask questions on its construction!

Thanks Russ, that is why I joined this forum :wink: many talented builders and very kind miners here . It's a great place to learn and share .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back