Buying your first dredge. This is what I would look for.

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We know you can find deals on Craigslist, but what's a good deal? I am in no way affiliated with this listing. Just an example I would be considering. Pics are nice but you really should try to see equipment in person before deciding, especially used.

Assuming everything is in working order, the thing you might want to consider here in this case is the oversize jet-log/flare. I'm not so sure this has one. Other than that for $2200., this is probably a deal IMO.

4in keen gold dredge

00505_23q9Dknui9C_600x450.jpg 00G0G_mA664S0iS4_600x450.jpg 00n0n_hEzRVfitw7N_600x450.jpg 00808_flup0LKFeg1_600x450.jpg 00C0C_aYsSVxjpwTK_600x450.jpg 01010_kELXXqWoBb4_600x450.jpg

The description reads :

Death forces sale
4" Keen Dredge
6.5 Honda
Keen pump
3 stage sluice with carpets and mats
4" power jet
Jet power hose
Long 4" suction hose
Swivel nozzle
Foot valve
T-80 air with tank, hose and regulator

Also comes with:
Xl 7mm farmer John wetsuit
Hood, gloves, socks
Mask and snorkel
Rubber hammers
Misc pans and classifieds
Some weight belt odds and ends

All used but in good working order
We found over 3oz of gold with this dredge last summer over a 30 day period in a public area.

Last edited:
I think the oversize jet is a somewhat newer option for Keene. I have never operated the non-oversize jet since mine came with oversize, can't say how much difference it makes. A good part of the value here is the extras IMO. That's subjective though and many variables politics etc. Markets always changing.

On the wife's phone so can't see to we'll but I don't think that the 3 stage ever came with the std flare did it? So it could be someone changing out but it looks good either way except for the homemade powerjet. It's a blurry pic here on the phone but it looks bulged

That could well be the case Reed. That jet might not be the original one? I don't know either. All the rest of it looks exactly like mine, though its a few years older now, at the time it was their current config.

-I bought mine used, it still had most of the coatings on the screens and riffles though. It all looked like it was bought new that way.

Last edited:
I think its the oversized looks like he has put a connector on the jet to do away with the keenes quick release bullet.
you would have to see it in person, talk with the person that used it not someone just showing it.
theres several seasons on this, the price is a little high for still being winter, still some good extras

I figure it's all somewhat relative. Never meant to imply deal of the century, more like a baseline of sorts.

Where I live we'd call that SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a similar one locally on C List with T80, an extra set of floats, air hose & air tank.but no other extras. 5.5 instead of 6.5. No swivel nozzle mentioned (no nozzle in pic, just bare hose). $3200

Last edited:
I think it appears to be a decent to good deal. It's not so much about the brand or type or size. Just that it's a newer model in fair condition with pans, classifiers and possibly complete dive gear. I didn't really make that clear in OP.

-- Vance when I saw the ad shortly before posting, it was 20 hours old. I'm sure it will be gone soon at that price!

Last edited:
It is apparent that it has the 'oversized' jet, but it appears the owner put a sleeve inside to accept a replacement hose. Very common practice.
Being that it is in Oregon, and Cali is on the verge of a possible dredge season, if I were on the west coast I'd buy it before it got away! Seriously, at half the cost of new, with all the extras, it's a great deal!

The T-80 used goes for $300. The Honda/pump would easily sell for $800-$1000. That sluice without the flair sells new for $600. Decent floats are impossible to find used. Not to mention a pile of extras that would sell quickly at any gold show or miners flea market.

Beyond that, if a man had a smaller dredge and wanted to move up to a 4", or someone wanted their first dredge and could actually use the extras, this is a pretty sweet deal over all!

Here in the northeast I would buy those deals all day long to rent out, guide with, or part out and resell.

I'm at home... worn out after yeasterdays lllllong day but now seeing it on the pc it looks good but I'm sure he would take $1800 for it and if not, I would walk basically because who wants to wear someone elses old wet suit? I mean I sold mine online for a few bucks but wet suits are cheap. It's funny to see that they welded in a pipe to get rid of the Keene oversized connection. I would definitely look hard at the powerjet because it looks like it has seen a lot better days.

-MadJack, I know what you mean though I never mentioned it. Location can make all the difference. That dredge could be worth 30~50% more in the next state over depending on the situation!

I thought the used dive gear was a fairly obvious distinction along with a few other things like distance from seller, not worth mentioning as in pedantic IMO.

Keene makes a dual powerjet in 4" now apparently? You could probably get one for what you would spend on new dive gear. I hear you on the dive gear and personally I tend to agree though not always.

There are too many variables. If the gear is of better quality than I would buy myself and has very little use and correct size. I would probably use it, etc,etc. Again, pedantic.

I never make an offer sight unseen unless I was completely trying to lowball to later resell and thats all good, not really my cup of tea though.

Most Importantly before I forget. If you see a better deal, throw a link and tell us why. I know they are out there.

-Edit-$1800 would be a sweet deal though. Reed are you saying you provide a 'dredge negotiating' service? I might be in the market for the 'other half' of a 6" dredge.:laughing7:

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread but at a club meeting here in Misery a young boy was looking at the items I had for sale and kept comeing back and asking about some items I had. one of the items was a smaller wetsuit that wouldn't come close to fitting me 20 years back. I found out he goes out with his grandmother to meetings and outtinings and he didn't have any money. He liked going dredgeing with our club prez. so I thought "im not going to sell this anyway" so I gave him a farmer johns suit with hood , boots for free. he and his grandmothers eyes lit up when I did this! Kinda makes you feel good!

-Edit-$1800 would be a sweet deal though. Reed are you saying you provide a 'dredge negotiating' service? I might be in the market for the 'other half' of a 6" dredge.:laughing7:

No I'm saying that I pick a price and stick too it unless it looks better when I get there.
reason 1 - The footvalve was never taken off of the hose and stood up for storage, so if that wasn't stored upright then what else was left out? The flapper has most likely warped away from the seal.
reason 2 - The hoses are all discolored like they have been left sitting in the sun every year instead of being stored laid out straight lengthwise under the house out of harms way. This causes breaks in the hose - so I subtract the price of new hose when they are browned. So all new hoses.
reason 3 - The power jet - It has seen better days and has been modified from the stock Keene pj and from the picture I thought I could see the beginning of the usual bulge starting at the end of the jet. If it is bulging or starting to now then it will need a new suction pipe welded in place. Then because it has been modified - what size is the pipe actually?
reason 4 - It didn't show the weights or the belts
reason 5 - All of the pics were taken from a distance as if to hide any imperfections. Because there were no close up shots of all of the important parts like the powerjet, Hooka, engine with T80, etc, you really can't see what you are buying. This of course makes it to where you will have to go and see it first hand but good pictures tell the best story of the dredge and this one is far from new.
reason 6 - What is that white spot on that pontoon?

So this is where I came up with what I would pay for it. I may have thought better with better and bigger clear pics. Maybe it was clearly posted on another forum somewhere but this dredge was definitely not the talk of the town before you brought it here :evil6:

If you want something, just ask for it. Why drive up there and not just ask for better photos first? They could well be trying to liquidate an estate, who knows.

No I'm saying that I pick a price and stick too it unless it looks better when I get there.
Ok,that I get and makes perfect sense.

If you are annoyed by my example then by all means link something. You always make valid points and have seen/done more than most of us, so that would probably be of much interest, IMO.

-Wasn't trying to be a smart ass about the dredge buying agent thing, no no not even. Unless you know doing that will get you completly swamped with clients and you couldn't do anything else lol. < And I'm laughing because I think thats exactly what would happen.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread but at a club meeting here in Misery a young boy was looking at the items I had for sale and kept comeing back and asking about some items I had. one of the items was a smaller wetsuit that wouldn't come close to fitting me 20 years back. I found out he goes out with his grandmother to meetings and outtinings and he didn't have any money. He liked going dredgeing with our club prez. so I thought "im not going to sell this anyway" so I gave him a farmer johns suit with hood , boots for free. he and his grandmothers eyes lit up when I did this! Kinda makes you feel good!

Very cool russau... something about single act, influence and ripple effect. You never know what you might have set into motion.

Last edited:
If you want something, just ask for it. Why drive up there and not just ask for better photos first? They could well be trying to liquidate an estate, who knows.

Ok,that I get and makes perfect sense.

If you are annoyed by my example then by all means link something. You always make valid points and have seen/done more than most of us, so that would probably be of much interest, IMO.

-Wasn't trying to be a smart ass about the dredge buying agent thing, no no not even. Unless you know doing that will get you completly swamped with clients and you couldn't do anything else lol. < And I'm laughing because I think thats exactly what would happen.

Not mad just happy :) I've actually been swamped before for helping... lol that's why I pick 1 forum and stay here. Yea asking for better picks always comes first unless he's close. I've driven for hours to walk away many times. One time was the story in my
How to buy a used gold dredge post from way back in 2001.
Buying a Used Gold Dredge - Tips

or here rewritten in 2004 sorry but the pics are long gone
Prospectors Cache Forum - Viewing message

Then in the ICMJ in 2005
Buying a Used Gold Dredge - ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal

if I could add my two cents worth
for someone like me even at $1.800 its still not a deal. Let me explain when i first joined tnet and I asked about building a dredge i was told to find and buy a good used dredge which I would normally agree with but because of where im at in the midwest there are somethings I have to take into consideration 1. finding somebody close to the seller to take a look at it for me since I am in Illinois and 2500 miles away. Unless I was going to take a trip to Cali which I dont see in the near future. So hear are some things I have to take into consideration paying someone min of gas money for their time to take a look at it for me which it may cost me more then gas which if I look at it would cost $100 plus $100 to $150 for crating plus $450 to $500 for shipping then I also have to look at was it stored right or do I have to buy a carb for it which is another $30 to $40 plus shipping so what someone in Cali thinks is a good deal when I look at it it is but it isnt a good deal. Just my two cents worth

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back