Buttons Hidden In the Iron Field

MD Ghost F75

Mar 27, 2022
Harford County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buddy of mine invited me to a field at the Mason Dixon line that we’ve hit before with limited finds. Strangest field conditions and detector readings I’ve ever experienced. The detectors ground balanced very high indicating a lot of iron in the soil. All the signals were iron grunts. I had to circle each iron target until I could get a screech of a signal. These are signals I would never dig, but in this field, we dug any iron signal with a number higher than iron squeaking through. We dug a total of 8-9 buttons that read as iron, with no iron in the hole!? Can’t imagine the targets we couldn’t ID. On one button I located an iron grunt in all directions and flipped the plug out. I ran the detector over the plug and got a straight up iron signal. Button was only target in the plug. So weird. Anyone ever hunt soil like this or experience soil conditions like this? Thought one button was military but it just appears to be a flat button with a pattern of stars. One has a small circle pattern in the center and another has “Extra Rich London” on the back. One is a tombac and one just a plain old flat button. Thanks for looking?

Attachments

• IMG_5883.jpeg
    IMG_5883.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5886.jpeg
    IMG_5886.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5887.jpeg
    IMG_5887.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25
Upvote 11
Well done on the buttons.

As far as hunting a field that did that-never.
How strange that they'd sound as iron even out of the hole.
Must of been a tad frustrating to say the least.

Buddy of mine invited me to a field at the Mason Dixon line that we’ve hit before with limited finds. Strangest field conditions and detector readings I’ve ever experienced. The detectors ground balanced very high indicating a lot of iron in the soil. All the signals were iron grunts. I had to circle each iron target until I could get a screech of a signal. These are signals I would never dig, but in this field, we dug any iron signal with a number higher than iron squeaking through. We dug a total of 8-9 buttons that read as iron, with no iron in the hole!? Can’t imagine the targets we couldn’t ID. On one button I located an iron grunt in all directions and flipped the plug out. I ran the detector over the plug and got a straight up iron signal. Button was only target in the plug. So weird. Anyone ever hunt soil like this or experience soil conditions like this? Thought one button was military but it just appears to be a flat button with a pattern of stars. One has a small circle pattern in the center and another has “Extra Rich London” on the back. One is a tombac and one just a plain old flat button. Thanks for looking?
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

I run into a similar issue sometimes in the fall. It seems that when they spread lime after the harvest, until a heavy rain, the lime makes my detector run erratically and won’t code correctly. Maybe this is what your dealing with?

Odd. Unless you were detecting a peat bog.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back