Buttons Buckles and more buttons

master mason

Apr 26, 2010
in a house
Detector(s) used
tesoro umax II fisher f 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has a bit of time since my last post for the two slave tags. I have been back twice and found a partial tag, silver and pewter spoons, and a whole bunch of copper and glass. I have also found many old bullets and musket balls. The last time I pulled out a perfect bottle that stated The Germania Brewing Co G Charleston, S.C. and it had a huge blob top like the old soda bottles. I started to clean some of the buttons and they are posted below. A couple of them have an Eagle on them. The one is a copper ball that is hollow. I also took a photograph of 2 buckles that are the same size as a belt buckle. The other couple buckles are a couple inches or so. The other photo is what I think is part of suspenders. I will try to clean more up later and it you need any additional photographs let me know. I literally have two cigar boxes loaded with stuff but it mainly is copper. I was told the one large piece is from a powder flask. There was also more coins, my buddy called three of them Indian head penny’s and the others are completely covered in something and I am afraid to wipe any of the material away. I also started to get into a lot of bone and horse teeth. Please let me know about anything you can tell me about these items. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0
Top row
1. I don't know
2. is a clothgin hook maybe to garters or something.
3. looks like an early copper coin with a hole in it.
bottom row
1 is a keyhole cover to an old padlock
2 looks to be part of a harness or saddle from the late 17to early 1800's
3 is a heel plate to a boot or shoe. Not sure of the age on it though

The black button with the rim in the second row from the bottom resembles what the French Marines wore pre Revolution. If you post a good picture of the front and back I can tell you if it is.

nice goodies ;D MR TUFF

This is as good as your last post with the slave tags.Looks like you are working the site well and being rewarded with many years of occupation. :thumbsup:

Your two larger buckles appear to be 1700s/early 1800s era shoe buckles. Those are great finds by themselves--it's hard to find ones that are whole and undamaged. Be on the lookout for the "chape" from the center of them (a forked piece of brass that looks like a snake's tongue, literally).

Cheers,

Buck

Your on one heck of a site. Keep the finds comin. :icon_thumleft:

You found yourself a sweet Colonial paradise. Those shoe buckles date to 1770-1790ish. I would be scouring that Colonial dirt for those chapes. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: They are always welcome in my growing collection. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk :hello:

Fantastic looking finds there master mason! :icon_thumright:
This is a beautiful looking item any thoughts on age? :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 262
Great finds! I'd be at that spot for a while! Congrats..............Hogge :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back