ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer

Attachments

• l h & scovill extra rich.jpg
    l h & scovill extra rich.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 807
Does the front of the button look like a penny or is that just for size? Monty

Upvote 0
L.H & SCOVILL EXTRA RICH buttons are all from the 1820's

L H is Leavenworth, Hayden and Scovill were partners in the 1820's.

Don

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information guys!
The penny is just for size, the front of the button has no markings.
I found some info on Leavenworth Hayden & Scovill, they would have made the buttons between 1811 and 1827.
That make this the oldest thing I have found so far "got my detector in August", thats so cool.
I live in wolcott CT. right next door to Waterbury the home of Scovills almost all of my fathers family worked for Scovills their whole lives.
This forum is a lot of fun, thanks for all the answers.

Joe

Upvote 0
wolcottdigger said:
Thanks for the information guys!
The penny is just for size, the front of the button has no markings.
I found some info on Leavenworth Hayden & Scovill, they would have made the buttons between 1811 and 1827.
That make this the oldest thing I have found so far "got my detector in August", thats so cool.
I live in wolcott CT. right next door to Waterbury the home of Scovills almost all of my fathers family worked for Scovills their whole lives.
This forum is a lot of fun, thanks for all the answers.

Joe

That is true, but the backmark on your button was used in the later part of the parternership according to Tice. 1820's :wink:

Upvote 0
wolcottdigger said:
Is tice some kind of reference guide.

Dating Buttons by Warren Tice, yes one of the biggest reference books on buttons, especially for dating by the backmarks.

Don

Upvote 0
What does it mean by "EXTRA RICH", does it have something to do with the quality of the button.

Upvote 0
it a sort of "quality mark" term -- used heavily by by button makers in the early 1800 time frame to "puff" the quality of their buttons -- sort of "see mines better quality" -- extra gilt--double gilt --trible gilt -- extra rich -- orange colour * (british) were all commonly used terms . finding these back marks normal means about 1820ish time frame. gilt was the shiney gold tone coating put on buttons --

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back