✅ SOLVED Button made of Brass, Military Type

Angeline

Feb 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps British army? I couldn't read it because it so small , it is also thin or worn. I scanned it in to try to read it better and looks like latin words.
There is nothing written on the back. It is the exact same size as a U.S. One Cent penny.

Anyone know what this is? I live in Savannah, Georgia and found this in my yard by where an old tree stump was rotting away.

Added later: I also found that bullet (in the image) there too. It is sort of ripped up.

Attachments

• button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 98
  • bu4.jpg
    bu4.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 95
  • bu5.jpg
    bu5.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 99
  • bu6.jpg
    bu6.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 104
  • button2.jpg
    button2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 95
  • button_back.jpg
    button_back.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 105
  • button_back2.jpg
    button_back2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 102
  • button_back3.jpg
    button_back3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 97
  • bu3.jpg
    bu3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Added the mold-seam info.

Although your button does have a Military emblem, it is what button collectors call a Fashion ("fashionable clothing") button, manufactured for use on Civilian clothing. Your photos of it show a distinct casting-mold seam on its back, which modernday Military buttons do not have. Specifically, your button is a cheap-quality cast 1-piece imitation of the actual British Army "general service" button that was in service from 1902 to 1952. Being no longer in service, manufacturers are legally free to make imitations of the actual Military one for use on Civilian clothing.

About what might be a bullet:
We need additional photos of it... and more information. It kinda looks like a civil war "Minie-Ball" bullet... but, in your photo, I can't be sure whether it is made of lead or of copper. (In the photo, its edge looks "ripped" -- and lead tends not to "rip.") Also, in the photo it looks like it might be hollow. Is it completely hollow?

I see you are brand-new here. Welcome to TreasureNet's "What-Is-it?" forum. :) This is the best place on the internet for getting an unknown object CORECTLY identified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bullet photo

I took some photos with my camera, it is so small and hard to get detail.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
I think it is copper and it is hallow all the way through.

Upvote 0
As I suspected when I asked you if it is hollow, and whether it is made of copper or lead... your find is the copper "jacket" from a 20th-Century copper-jacketed Hollowpoint bullet. Yours had a lead bullet inside it, which is now missing. Here's a photo showing some. You can see the lead bullet showing at the top of the jacket.

Attachments

• bullet_COPPERJACKETED-45-caliber_hollowpoint_0102_1.jpg
    bullet_COPPERJACKETED-45-caliber_hollowpoint_0102_1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back